Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   85 three speed (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/85-three-speed-146811.html)

73BOWTIE 10-17-2008 09:39 PM

85 three speed
 
Hello i have a 85 chevy p/u and it is a 3 speed automatic. There is 1 wire going to the plug on the drivers side. Not being a 4 speed what does the wire do.

Crosley 10-17-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73BOWTIE
Hello i have a 85 chevy p/u and it is a 3 speed automatic. There is 1 wire going to the plug on the drivers side. Not being a 4 speed what does the wire do.


The wire is power for the converter clutch in the t-350C transmission in the truck.

SSedan64 10-17-2008 10:19 PM

Most likely it has a TH350C with lockup torque converter. The wire goes to the TC solenoid.

73BOWTIE 10-17-2008 10:48 PM

RE: 1 wire
 
Ok thank you . So is 1,2 gears normal and 3 is 1:1 locked up.

SSedan64 10-17-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73BOWTIE
Ok thank you . So is 1,2 gears normal and 3 is 1:1 locked up.

Yes, TCC only locks in 3rd. Uses a vacuum switch to activate lockup. Also runs through brake switch to disengage.

M&M CUSTOM 10-18-2008 09:54 AM

UNLESS, by some odd chance he could possibly have a TH-400 transmission?

If so- then that wire is used for "kickdown", or "passing gear".

I thought the 350C's were long gone by then, and the TH-700R4's were in full production. The 700 started showing up in '82 didn't it?

Crosley 10-18-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
UNLESS, by some odd chance he could possibly have a TH-400 transmission?

If so- then that wire is used for "kickdown", or "passing gear".

I thought the 350C's were long gone by then, and the TH-700R4's were in full production. The 700 started showing up in '82 didn't it?


T-350C was used for many years past 1985. I had a 1986 with 350C trans... GM exported the t-350C in various RWD vehicles for several years after they were dropped in t he USA.

We have even seen model year 2000 1/2 ton Silverados with a 5.7 / 350CID cast iron engines with distributors in our shop... these were trucks built for the Mexico market.... in the USA these trucks were all LS engine power.

Although if this truck 1985 was a 1 ton , it may have a t-400 trans in it

:cool:

M&M CUSTOM 10-18-2008 04:13 PM

That's all true, not so much up here in the North, they even had a Dana 44 axle in GM G-body cars headed South out of the country. Wish I could get my hands on one of them.

The 400 could also be had in 3/4-ton trucks as a regular option, and in 1/2-ton trucks up to 1980 as an option too, I had a couple 3/4-ton trucks with the 400 in them from the factory, all were in 3/4 ton.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.