'85 VW won't start, any ideas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

'85 VW won't start, any ideas?

i have just aquired an 85 volkswagen jetta, it needs a lot of work to restore it to proper driving condition but my first order of business is getting the engine running again, i changed the oil, put 5 gallons of premium gas in the tank and put a full bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it, plus i cleaned the spark plugs and put a "new" battery in (it was dead charging it now) i tried to start it with jumpers on it and my truck running at about 3k rpm's and the engine turns over which is a good thing but no matter how much i crank the starter it won't fire at all. i'm thinking either fuel filter clogged or my fuel injector is gummed up but the fuel injector cleaner should have fixed that problem. any suggestions? please help! i need a car for work

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 09:04 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

have spark ?

fuel pump running for atleast a few seconds when you turn the ign to run position ? or when cranking ?

injector cleaner wont magically fix bad injectors or fuel pump

wyoming, awesome, been out there, have an aunt there, and got my 82 trans am from there also.

good luck
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM

yup

i pulled a plug wire grounded it and cranked it and it's sparking, i sprayed some ether into the intake and it fired 3-5 times and almost started but then died after that. i pulled the fuel line and turned the key to on and nothing came out so that means the line isn't pressuring up like it should be, i checked the filter and pump both need replaced. however i just found out that jettas have 2 fuel pumps.... if the internal isn't working then i'm screwed, i hope it's just the external.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Yes, that vintage Volkswagon has 2 pumps. transfer pump ( in tank ) and a preassure pump ( external ).. also change the fuel filter, it could be that, and also check the fuses.. if the in tank pump is bad, it's no big deal. because you should be able to remove the rear seat bottom and open up the access door to get to the top of the tank where the pump is..

for good prices on a fuel pump or whatever you need, I'd suggest 1-800-VW PARTS.. there actully very local to me, and I'v been to there facility and back when my brother had both his VW's ( '84 Rabbit and '88 Fox ) 99% of his parts including tires came from there.. but there also nationally known and ship all over the country.. I'm not affiliated with them, I just know they do good buisnuess.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Those cars are money pits

Chet
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Those cars are money pits
they can be.. but if you get the parts cheap enough, there not bad... we bought my brothers '84 Rabbit GTI for $400.. ex ice race car. rear seatbelts, headliner, spare were all removed heater controls and certin lights were run off toggles, and it had the full length windshield rear view mirror... problems were, the floor was rotting out of it.. some sheet metal, and some pop rivits and we patched the floor from the inside, redid the seat tracks ( there partially integral with the floor ) and put the carpet back.. less than $500 and it was drivable.... his '88 Fox was drivable when he got it, not the greatest car.. heater was crap, had enough to keep the window clear. we put a red trailer running light behind the VW circle in the grill, that looked quite cool at night lit up. but it was cheap and didn't take much to keep it on the road

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.