86 caprice motor mounts with 70 c10 block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

86 caprice motor mounts with 70 c10 block

hey havent been to the site in a while but i have a question about my current build. i have a 86 caprice classic that came originally wit a 305. i found a 350 for it, casting number is 3970010, and for some reason, the block-to-mount plates wont line up to the motor mounts. i rebuilt the engine (bored .030 over,vortec heads, dual plane high rise intake, lunati voodoo 60102 cam, comp cams beehive springs,retainers,and locks) and so i might have mixed up the block-to-mount plates. but even when switched around they still wont mate up. i can get one side to bolt up to it and the other side gets offset by less than an inch. i bought new motor mounts, from oreillys that are specific to the 86 caprice. should i go get mounts for a 70 c10? are there adjustable mounts available? it is bolted to the bell housing currently. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

As far as I know the Caprice mounts should work fine. Any chance that the trans. crossmember is in the wrong spot or the frame bent? Unbolt the crossmember from the frame and let it move from side to side(block up some support if you don't have a trans jack) to see if you can get the motor mounts to fit. May have to loosen up all bolts to let them give you the slack you need?
I don't know about a Caprice, but on a '86 Monte Carlo the bolts for the motor mounts in the frame are only accessible by removing the lower A-arms.
FWIW,
ssmonty
Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
More for Less Racer

Is this off in height, or front-to-back on one side??.. If height, Check your block mounts(cups) for the distance from the block mounting face of the cup to the thru-hole for the long cross bolt, there are two different height block cups...truck version and car version. They need to be used in matched pairs. Lefts and rights are the same though, no front-to-back offset on them

The truck mounts for the '70 C-10 would be totally different, the metal half is on the frame and rubber half on the block. And width won't fit the Caprice cups or stands

If you can get one side bolted up but the other is off front-to-back, check for whether you put the new frame mounts in the correct holes on the frame(IIRC, one mount bolts in right side up, the other upside down on the bolt pattern to the frame), and if the trans tailshaft is in the correct spot.

You may need to unbolt the trans mount from the crossmember, get the engine on the mounts, and then bolt the trans back down.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

It's off from side to side, the transmission never left the car. The frames not bent, I just had the original engine in there. I didn't know that there's a difference in cups. Could I have one bolt bolted in and have the other motor mount welded to the frame? Or would that offset the engine? No part stores sell the cups or else I'd be buying new ones. Also could I elongate the bolt hole on one side to make it fit. Sorry just kinda burnt out from working on this thing.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
More for Less Racer

Moving the mount on the frame and welding it down is just a redneck way of ending up crooked.

You may just need to loosen the trans mount bolts or bellhousing bolts and get the engine down on the mounts before tightening anything..

There is also the possibility that the new frame mounts are wrong, did you compare them to the old ones?? Height from frame to hole, and width of metal tube insert in rubber??

You may also need to use a drift punch to lift and align the crossbolt hole in the mount to the cup, may take a little levering.

Sometimes it helps to remove the crossbolt from the side you have in now, and get it in the other side first.

Some times there will be a flat shim between the cup and the block that matches the block bolt pattern, there wasn't any on your stock engine was there??

The original application for the 350 engine may also have had these flat shims between the block and the cup, up to 1/8-3/16" thick. Easy to make from flat plate and a drill the holes to match the block. Or you can shim the cup at the block using washers and longer bolts to mount the cup to the block.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

NAPA Balkamp # 602-2355
These are supposed to fit 86 Caprice 305 & 350 RH & LH

Is it possible that these are mounted to the cross-member upside down? (I have no idea if they are symmetrical or not.)

NAPA Balkamp # 602-1108
1970 c10 w/350 RH & LH

Last edited by 66GMC; 04-16-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

I tried to bolt in the engine without it being connected to the bell housing first and still wouldn't line up. The bolt hole is off to the left by somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Maybe putting shims on both side would work. I left the car at my shop so I'll be back at it tomorrow to shim it and/or loosening Trans mount bolts to see it it'll give just enough to get it bolted up. As far as the mounts ago, they're symmetrical and the same for both sides. Trust me I've taken them out to measure just to be safe Lol. We've switched em, got one side in and tried the other and vice versa.
Could the engine plates be wrong? Are there different options? I'll be trying anything at this point lol. Thanks for all your help btw
Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 PM
More for Less Racer

As far as I remember, there are just 2 different motor mount "cups" for Chevy V-8 blocks for that style of motor mount on the frame...the car version and the truck version. Truck version is taller if I remember right(from mount point on block to crossbolt hole).
Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I want to change the cups bc I think that's the problem. But it'll be hard to find cups that'll fit because I threw away the old ones with the motor, not knowing any better. Looking for part numbers for new ones as we speak
Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Got the motor in!!! A friend of mine knew a guy who had a 305 from a 70s Nova and grabbed the cups from it and it dropped in. Thanks for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0064.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	948.2 KB
ID:	139418  

Tags
caprice, sbc motor mounts

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.