Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   86 comaro front suspension " in 39 olds coupe" (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/86-comaro-front-suspension-39-olds-coupe-12435.html)

Hal Bemis 01-05-2003 08:58 AM

86 comaro front suspension " in 39 olds coupe"

Hi!
I am trying to instll a comaro suspension in a 39 olds coupe , my question is , can it be done or do I need to install the complete snout.

stonedchihuahua 01-05-2003 01:38 PM

well it can be done the question is how badly do you wanna do it???

It shouldn't be too bad to do... alot of cutting mounts off and welding them on... umm don't know if you want the rear suspension... if you do the touque arm may be a pain.... not too sure how well the a frames and stuff will fit in the front...

tomslik 01-05-2003 02:02 PM

you DO realize that is a modified Mcpherson strut FE, right?

all that aside, i wouldn't.....

pasadenahotrod 01-05-2003 02:22 PM

The number one thing about suspension/subframe swaps for older (pre-48 or even pre-58) cars is corresponding the track width and wheelbases of the donor car and the recipient car. Often, particularly for pre-41 cars thes best option is the independent MustangII/Pinto based suspension kits with upsized brakes.
Don't attempt these things without gathering some experience at welding, etc. under your belt. In other words, don't bite off more than you can chew, 'cause if you mess up a good car you'll never recover your investment. The guy who buys it and cleans up your mess recovers your investment.
Best of luck!

Hal Bemis 01-06-2003 08:45 AM

Regarding the 86 camaro suspension, the chassis on this 39 olds has a factory independent suspension .
I'm not sure if I can afford a kit suspension or if the kit would also be a lot of work.

F-1Rodder 01-10-2003 10:42 AM

"the chassis on this 39 olds has a factory independent suspension"

Really?

Hal Bemis 01-15-2003 12:28 PM

The 39 Olds was the first car produced that had an independent front suspension and coil springs in all 4 corners.
So the front clip has a boxed frame and cross member.My question is, what do I use to update the front suspension?
Hal

38ChevyCoupe 01-15-2003 03:01 PM

Please dont ruin the frame and the resale value of your car, get an X member from Heidts and do the Mustang 11 type its a lot less trouble and you will be glad you did when all is said and done

pasadenahotrod 01-15-2003 04:33 PM

Olds had coil spring front ends as early as 1936.
I'm surprised that they have coils in the back like Buicks.

Hal Bemis 01-18-2003 12:14 PM

Can I use the original LOWER Control Arms, and ad ball joints and spindles and upper Arms?

[ January 18, 2003: Message edited by: Hal Bemis ]</p>

pasadenahotrod 01-18-2003 06:48 PM

You noticed the upper a-arms are the shock absorbers, didn't you?
This is true of virtually all the independent fronts on GM cars through 1948. After that they had a kind-of-conventional front but the spindles mount in kingpins on the steering knuckles. 1955 brought the first bal;l joints, at least on Chevrolets!
Seriously, save your bucks, and get a mustang II/Pinto front suspension crossmember kit fron Chassis Engineering in Iowa, or most anywhere. DO it right. Some one of these places probably has a specific crossmember for your car!