Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 86 f150 wants to die
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

86 f150 wants to die

its my dads work truck he drives it everywhere and all the time. it has a 302 with 150,000 miles on it. just last week (wednesday i think) he was driving home and it was wanting to die on him. 2 weeks before that i pulled the plugs cleaned them and changed the cap and rotor. friday it died on him. he told me that when he tried to start it it did nothing. his friend put a charger on it waited a few min tried to start it and it cranked but did not start after a few more trys it finally started. when he got home i tested the battery and it read good/charged. i looked at the cap and rotor it had the normal wear on it so its not that. i havent looked at the plugs yet but i plan on doing that either today or tomorrow. he seems to think that its his ac pump dying and putting "drag" on the motor as he says. i told him maybe but unlikely if it was dying it would just rob power from the motor and not cause it to die correct? unless its locking up some how. only a few things come to mind that would cause his truck from wanting to die...

1. spark plugs
2. solenoid
3. plug wires
4. alternator
5. battery

any other ideas???