Hot Rod Forum banner

86 Ford Ranger 2.3 & A4LD problems or trans replacement?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chevynut1 
#1 ·
I have a 1986 Ford Ranger that I got for O$. It is a 2.3L 2wheel drive with the a4ld transmission. Transmission shifts from 3rd to OD and back again all the time. Would like to replace with a standard transmission if possible,or another automatic other then the a4ld. Any suggestions would be great.
I have checked this forum and could find no information,and have checked other sites with no luck. Maybe am looking in the wrong spots. Thanks for any and all replays.

P.S. Was just planning to use as a work truck.

#2 ·
Can't help w/specific swap info other than to say you can replace the AT w/a similar year manual. Might be easiest to buy a whole junk Ranger w/manual tranny to get everything you need then scrap the rest.

But before you do all that, have you done the easy things first? Obviously fluid level, check the modulator for having ATF in the vacuum line or having a ruptured diaphragm or clogged orifice that keeps it from retracting the pin when vacuum is applied, check the vacuum line for splits or leaks- especially the rubber sections where they connect to the modulator and to the vacuum source.

Even the engine tune/condition can have an effect on this. If the vacuum is low the tranny will tend to hunt between gears.

#3 ·
A fluid change may be a good Idea. Fluid does "wear out".
Viscosity stabilizers break down and fluid thins out, and problems arise.
You might change it and drain the torque converter if it has a plug. Otherwise change it, drive it a few miles, and drop the pan and change it again.
Also, go to www.therangerstation.com for other info on swaps etc.

#5 ·
C3 from an earlier 2.0/2.3 Ranger is the only other automatic that will work, and good luck finding 1.. M5-OD 5spd will bolt in and work with the right parts. You need the clutch pedal from a '83-'88 but everything else can come from a '89-'92. Transmission itself can come from up to a '97 or so

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.