Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 86 G Body rear control arm upper, how to remove frozen bolts?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahotep
Happy fathers day. My day has been a fail. lol

86 monte ss, rear upper control arm: I can easily reach the head of the bolt that is on the body side (not the rear end differential) of the control arm and was able to heat the nut of the other side which enabled me some rotation on the bolt with an air gun. However, after hours, I was never able to get the nut to free from the bolt. Totally impossible.

Are there any tools to just cut off the head of the bolt? I have a nut splitter but it cant reach the nut. I tried drilling the head of the bolt but its grade 10 and I think I barely saw a scratch. lol. Heating the nut with a torch is not accurate and seems to heat the bolt so they both sometimes lock together.

Possibly remove the rear springs and grind the head off? Would an air chisel be able to bang off the head of the bolt?

Im not a mechanic and this is all being done in my home garage. A plasma cutter is not happening.
Something here will work. IIRC those nuts are lock nuts. I'd use PB Blaster after heating, then an impact wrench.