86 s-10 frame bent - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 08:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

86 s-10 frame bent

Hello, I have taken my truck to a frame shop because the wife hit a tree with it learning to drive........she learned to drive, but the truck didnt like the tree.lol...........hit the tree and pushed the passenger side frame rail back at least an inch. Questions are first......if the frame is "in diamond like the guy said, then why is the passenger side motor mount still too far towards the rear of the vehicle(rubber protruding out of the front of the mount when installed). Also when I look down at the sway bar, the fan pulley does not seem to be parallel to the sway bar. Also the right front tire still seems to be farther back than the left front tire. So as you can see there are a number of things that are making me think the body shop frame guy just is telling me bs and did a half *** job putting frame where it should be. He worked on it the next day and now the tire seems to be right, and motor mount is closer to looking "factory".....(rubber not forced out the front of mount). The rubber is still coming out a little but not nearly as bad as it was. My primary concern is that I am still trying to cure the drive train vibration and not sure if a bent frame would cause this or not, but would like to have everything lookin good before I move on. maybe a frame being "on diamond" is not a 100% guarentee that frame is factory. I would think that the motor mount should fit properly, and not be forced to fit.
I have posted on my vibration in trans mission, but since I found out the frame is bent, I would think fixing that would be a good idea before continuing to beat my head against a wall trying to figure out this butt massager of a truck

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 08:25 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

a well trained guy with a frame straightener can bring the frame back to factory specs, they have reference points and measurements for almost any frame and should bring it back within millimeters.you should see no diffrenced with the naked eye.
a guy in a barn with a set of chail pulls hooked to the wall cannot do a proper job. mike
Old 01-18-2004, 08:49 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Like Mike said. A qualified frame guy, with the right equipment should be able to fix that problem. They can usually also provide you with a "print-out" of the specs on the vehicle if they have one of the newer machines. A print out usually will show the measurements in green( I believe) if they are within specs. That's the way our machine is. As with anything else that has measurements, there are tolerances of +- so much. Measurements are in millimeters, usually from one hole to another, diagonally. Even from the factory, they aren't perfect.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 PM

A funny thing is that I had an instructor at WyoTech tell me when I was in a collision class that all you need is a truck and a tree and you can fix frames... haha CRUDE YES! but o so true! maby thats what the guys doin? hahaha But the guy doesnt seem to care enough and only makes things work not make them right or correct.... so I wouldnt go back... Id go to anouther shop and have them fix it correctly and have them pay the other shop for the work they were paid to do in the first place. I went to college for chassis desighn and all and used frame benches to pull frames in and out of swuare... I made it diamond and fixed totaled cars... Its VERY SIMPLE with the right stuff!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.