Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   87 Camaro - Gas gauge stuck - FULL (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/87-camaro-gas-gauge-stuck-full-11432.html)

dpjmw 02-25-2003 09:57 AM

87 Camaro - Gas gauge stuck - FULL

Anyone know where I should start? Does the tank have to come out?

46_stvblt 02-25-2003 04:02 PM

It most likely is a ground problem. Run a seperate wire from the sending unit to a good ground on the frame. I've had this same problem and the seperate ground usually fixes it.....GlennK.. :)

46_stvblt 02-25-2003 05:55 PM

I got your pm but I thought I'd answer you here...There is another way that you may be able to get a proper ground without pulling the tank..On your tank there is a seam lip that runs all the way around the tank where it is welded together. You may be able to drill a small hole in the lip and attach a wire there and then to agood clean spot on the frame. If you have a cordless drill it would be safer to use it other than an electric drill just to be safe and not ignite any fumes that may be around...If that doesnt work you could cut a hole in the trunk floor if you can locate exactly where the sending unit is. other wise pulling the tank is the last option.....On that seam lip go to one of the back corners, the metal is the longest there...Good luck with this and I hope it works...GlennK :D

dpjmw 02-25-2003 08:40 PM

Glenn, thanks a lot. I didn't really understand. But All I have to do is properly ground the tank... That sounds easy enough to check. Does the pump have its own ground or am I just lucky that it still works...assuming that the ground is the problem? Thanks again, John

Silver 02-26-2003 09:33 AM

i had a similar problem with an 88 version of that car. all i did was replace the gauge. all of those 3rd gen camaros have those gauges. get one from a wrecking yard and it might save you lots of work. the dash is much easier to take apart than the tank. just use a torx wrench and the gauge just pops out with a flat head screwdriver.

chevyman17 02-26-2003 11:09 AM

maybe its not broken, maybe you get very good gas milage, llolol!!1

dpjmw 02-26-2003 12:22 PM

Chevyman...that is actually pretty funny. I told the guys at work that I must be getting super gas milage because my cars been on FULL for 2 weeks. They laughed and then someone said, just use the speedometer/milage. They really got a laugh when I said that broke a week before the gas gauge. I'm pretty sure that the speedo is a bad cable. Its real hard to turn. This thing is just at that age where you either going to rebuild it, or junk it. I'm comitted, or maybe I should be... This board really helps. Thanks so much to everyone!

the ernster 02-26-2003 02:32 PM

Maybe you'll never run out of gas.lol

78 monte 03-03-2003 07:28 PM

LOL ernster
I had an 85 monte that did that turned out to be a fuse.Can't remember which one but for the hell of it run through um.I think they did some funky stuff at the factoy,cause my dash lights were fused through the taillight circuit. Found that out when I had no dash lights but a good fuse and got pulled over for no tails.Changed the tail fuse and got dash lights again go figure.

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: 78 monte ]</p>

dpjmw 03-04-2003 09:11 PM

Wow, I got excited and went and checked all of the fuses. I just knew that was going to be it. I guess the tank comes out this weekend. What a pain. By the way, I bought these cool little grounding clamps; clean the surface, then tightend the little clamp to the edge of the gas tank and then to the body. Still didn't work, but the grounding idea made good sense and the little clamps that I found were cool. Lowes home electrical section, I believe they are for grounding your breaker box.

98rocket 03-20-2003 06:55 PM

hi dpjmw. just wondered if you ever got it fixed, as i have the same problem with my '70 oldsmobile.

been thinking about dropping the tank in mine, but thought i'd see how your story ended before it comes to that. thanks.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: 98rocket ]</p>

dartshadow1 03-31-2003 03:50 PM

Hey
When you get the tank out, check the assembly with an ohmmeter, attach the ohmmeter to the possitive and neg. on the unit, then move the leaver, if the ohmmeter moves then you know that your unit is good, (Check the wiring doing to the unit) I have had bad wires before, or even bad plugs where it plugs onto the sending unit.

Hope this helps for a tip, i love electrical work, but what sucks is that i am colour blind so it takes me forever to do that work, but i love electrical

66GMC 06-07-2005 08:04 PM

Bared wire, perhaps?

I may be wrong, but the way that I understand gas guages is that the sending unit provides the ground, and that a rheostat is used to provide variable resistance.

When the tank is full, the rheostat is in the "fully grounded" position offering zero resistance, and the guage reads "full"

At 1/2 tank the rheostat is only supplying 50% of the resistance value... etc

So my theory is that if the wire leading to the sender has been chafed and grounded before reaching the sender, it will always display a "full" tank.

HTH,
Don