Hot Rod Forum banner

'87 chevy pickup 4.3 L TBI burnt ex. valve

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Vortech 4.3 
#1 ·
'87 Chevy Pickup long box.
4.3 L, 110,000 Km... (maybe 65,000 miles).
TH400 transmission, 3.08 rear end.

After a leak-down test at the local garage it was determined that #3 had a burnt valve (pretty much zero compression, noise out the muffler). Also #2, oil is getting past the valve seals (fouled plug, leak-down OK).

What to do? I think in '87 this 4.3 had maybe 150 hp. I wouldn't mind a little more power.

I'm sure most are going to say "pop a 350 in her, -you won't be sorry". I don't think I'm into that so...

I'm going to pull the heads and get them fixed. It's my understanding that newer heads, which are better, won't fit as the intake has a different bolt set up. Anything I can do with these heads?

I pull a 3500 pound trailer... a bit tough for the '87 so I was going to put some 3.73 gears in her to help when I'm doing that... just weekend trailering anyway.

Maybe a cam... just for a bit more torque.

Anybody do anything with these little V6s? Maybe I'm flogging a dead horse eh?

Thanks for any tips,
Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
did you check for a broken valve spring ?

4.3 performance is alive and well. ok, somewhat well. it can be hard to get some good parts.
i am going for 500hp out of mine.

if you do do the heads. just do a MILD port job with the valve job & cleanup resurface. and leave it at that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.