Hot Rod Forum banner

87 firebird 305 to 350 questions

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  xierxior 
#1 ·
my trans am has a 305-stock in it now with bad head gaskets, I want to put a gmr 350/350 circle track engine in it.
now can I bolt on the existing assories alternator all the brackets tpi injection?
if so will it pass emission in il?
would it also bolt onto the motor mounts fine?

#2 ·
sorry i'm new to this whole high performance thing, this would be my first high performance car or mid perforance :)
couple more questions. the gm webpage says it uses spechial twist off bolts on the heads oil pan etc, does that mean you can't remove them?
will it bolt to the stock transmission?

#3 ·
to make the circle track engine work in your application with computer will require quite a bit of cash and work, you`ll have to have, 350 tbi injectors, 350 computer, 350 knock sensor, and a custom made chip to create a timing curve and a fuel curve for the bigger engine. that is if the cam isn`t too big, TBI and computers don`t like big cams. Since your concerned with passing emissions, you may want to see if this swap is legal in your state before you even get started, lastly, after smogging it, it`s not gonna have much power being to pass emissions it`ll have to have a timing and fuel curve set to pass emissions which will make the swap a waste of time from the get go. your best bet? find a 350 out of a pickup truck along the same years, use it`s computer and other items I already mentioned, step up to a slightly bigger cam, a low restriction exhaust, a k & n airfilter, have the heads bowl ported, and get a stage 2 chip for it, it`ll make lots of torque, and that`s what you`ll need for a heavy car like a firebird. it`ll make it a blast to drive and you`ll enjoy it a lot more. good luck.

#4 ·
not sure about all your fuel injection but if you run a dual exhaust system you could do what ever you wanted to the car. and get it to pass. a friend of mine did this swap and was sucseccful. but he ran dual cats. while we are on the subject. in my 85 regal it had 3.8 and switched to a 5.7 and passed emisions fine.i also had a dual cat set up.

#8 ·
acutally sorry asking so many questions but I have just one question now I was reading how 305's are real dogs...
what do I have to do to get a 350 with 350hp in this car and make it smog legal?
it would help if you would list the parts, my uncle and I are doing this he can rebuild engines he just never rebuilt a highperformance engine.
not trying rush into this well yes I am I need the car in running condition BAD! I have no wheels :mad:

[ April 15, 2003: Message edited by: xierxior ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.