87 S-10 Tranny Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2003, 11:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question 87 S-10 Tranny Problem

First, let me give you some background info on my truck. It's an 87 S-10 Blazer 2wd. It has the 2.8l v6 TBI and 4 speed auto w/OD. I don't know which type of trans it has other than the number of gears. Also, I'm a computer nerd, and therefore know NOTHING about transmissions and stuff.

The transmission shifts kinda hard and sloppily no matter how you drive it. If it's in drive, it shifts harder, but better and more stable than in OD. If I'm doing about 65 or more on the interstate in OD, sometimes it will slip out of gear, the engine will rev all the way up, and then it'll slam back into gear. It's also leaking fluid... looks like the pan gasket deteriorating or something. You can see fluid sprayed all over the bottom of the truck above the trans. The TV cable is also very stiff, which in turn makes the gas pedal stiff. If anyone thinks they can provide some help, remember I know NOTHING about this stuff, so pretend I'm a 2yr old. Thanks in advace.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Suburbanite Member

Last photo:

Your tranny is a 700R4. The 2.8L had a different bolt pattern then the 4.3L and 5.7L so the bellhousing is a bit different. In other words, if you need to swap the tranny for a new one, make sure you get one for a 2.8L.

What you describe sounds like it's low on fluid. Remember that you have to check the tranny fluid when the vehicle is running and parked on level ground. The dipstick/fill tube is on the passenger's side back near the firewall, if I recall correctly.

Strange that the leaking fluid is above the tranny. I would start by changing the pan gasket. If I recall correctly, you should be able to do this without having to remove the transmission. Good time to replace the fluids as well. And watch the torque spec. on the pan bolts - you don't want to snap them by getting too heavy on the ratchet when you tighten them back up. Won't hurt to look up a procedure on adjusting the TV cable and do that at the same time.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:25 PM

I know the fluid is dirty, and I'm concerned about the TV cable. I can't find any info on adjusting it because its slightly different than everything i've seen. I also need to find a way to loosen it up because the gas pedal is way too stiff. Also, after it's been running for a while it'll start to lope regardless of whether I'm in drive or OD.

Another problem not related to the transmission is there's a short or something in the wires connected to the ignition coil. I don't know where the wires come from, and I'm wondering if it's contributing to the lack of power... The coil has already been replaced once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.