87 SBC 350 Internal / External balanced?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 10:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

87 SBC 350 Internal / External balanced??

i have a 87 small block tbi 350 how can i tell if its internal or externaly balanced?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

All small block chevy`s are internally balanced except the 400 small block. However, this is somewhat confusing, your 350 is internally balanced, but the rear of the crank is not, when chevy changed the crankshaft flange to perfectly round and 1 piece rear main seal in 1986, there was no where to put the needed counter weight to balance it, so the new flywheel/flexplate had extra weights added to balance it, but the harmonic balancer remained the same as previous models.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:25 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
All small block chevy`s are internally balanced except the 400 small block. However, this is somewhat confusing, your 350 is internally balanced, but the rear of the crank is not, when chevy changed the crankshaft flange to perfectly round and 1 piece rear main seal in 1986, there was no where to put the needed counter weight to balance it, so the new flywheel/flexplate had extra weights added to balance it, but the harmonic balancer remained the same as previous models.

All small-block Chevys are NOT all internally balanced. 1985 and later small-blocks with the one-piece rear main seal are externally balanced on the flywheel end. Fortunately, the flywheel is not interchangeable between the interal and external types. You can tell the difference by determining if it is the one-piece rear seal type.

tom
Old 03-23-2004, 08:38 AM

what about the damper? thats the same all around?
Old 03-23-2004, 08:57 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

The dampener is the same for the internally and externally balanced 305s and 350s. It is neutral balanced. You just have to watch the timing mark location.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If you`ll go back and read my post does it not say "but the rear of the crank is not, when chevy changed the crankshaft flange to perfectly round and 1 piece rear main seal in 1986, there was no where to put the needed counter weight to balance it, so the new flywheel/flexplate had extra weights added to balance it, but the harmonic balancer remained the same as previous models"
Now, what part of that is hard to understand? is it not the same thing you said in your post? is your answer any different than mine? so you just reanswered his question, I guess 2 answers are better than 1, especially when they say the same thing.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:24 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleVision
If you`ll go back and read my post does it not say "but the rear of the crank is not, when chevy changed the crankshaft flange to perfectly round and 1 piece rear main seal in 1986, there was no where to put the needed counter weight to balance it, so the new flywheel/flexplate had extra weights added to balance it, but the harmonic balancer remained the same as previous models"
Now, what part of that is hard to understand? is it not the same thing you said in your post? is your answer any different than mine? so you just reanswered his question, I guess 2 answers are better than 1, especially when they say the same thing.

Your answer was kind of confusing. A crank can't be both internally and externally balanced. In the case of the 85 and later one-piece rear main seal SBC's, they are externally balanced. I tried to make it a little clearer for the original thread starter, as he wanted to know simply if it was internal or external balanced.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

punk1c5040
Reading this posting you should be in the Introduction to Hotrodding since you cannot understand two good explaination's.
Your answer's are well explained here and in the Introduction Forum, and in the Knowledge base.
What part of the answer don't you understand?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:30 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Tom I'm going to point out an error since you have stated it twice. SBC's went to a 1 piece rear main seal in 86, not 85.

Mike
Old 03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Tom I'm going to point out an error since you have stated it twice. SBC's went to a 1 piece rear main seal in 86, not 85.

Mike
'

Actually, Mike, we both stand corrected. The one-piece rear main seal was introduced in 1985. The early 85 SBCs were 2 piece, while the later 85s were one piece. If you look in a gasket catalog (as I do every day), they state clearly that there were one and two piece designs for 1985. I still have here in the shop the one-piece designed block that I took out of my 1985 Chevy 4x4.

tom

Check this out:

http://www.pickproparts.com/PartsLis...ategoryID=5376
Old 03-23-2004, 09:11 PM

sorry i wasnt trying to 2nd guess anyone i just wanted to make sure before i buy a $100 damper ive gotten alot of answers before about other things that seemed to be right then when i asked what about this they changed a lil bit. no need to flip out or anything. thanks for the info tho
Old 03-24-2004, 07:12 AM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Thanks Tom, learn something new everyday.

Mike

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.