Hot Rod Forum banner

87 TBI 350 converting to carb

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  chillman88 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I bought a 69 Caprice with no motor and tranny. I picked up a 87 TBI 350 and 700r4 and dropped it in. Eventually I'll convert it to EFI but for the time being I'm putting a Quadrajet on it with an HEI distributor.

I got looking and it seems there are different spark plugs for this motor and I don't know if there's a reason to use different plugs for carb vs efi? It seems like a silly question to me but I've never dealt with a carb on anything other than a lawnmower and want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

These are the two I'm questioning.

NGK-7052

or

NGK-2771

it looks like the only difference is one is projected tip and the other is not?

I'm also wondering what temp thermostat to run, I've got a 195 degree in my cart now. The car is just going to be a cruiser for fun, no strip duties... yet :D

See less See more
#6 ·
Okay so I pulled apart my HEI distributor and I'm ordering the summit advance kit and an adjustable vacuum canister. I was thinking of using both medium weight springs for starters, would you recommend I do differently? What should I set base timing at? Everything I've read says 8-10 BTDC

#8 ·
Not really yet. I'm still trying to make sure I have everything I need to order from Summit in one order.

All I've done recently is slot the intake bolt holes to fit the 87+ heads and pulled the yokes off the two driveshafts. I was going to swap them but I need a conversion u-joint. I think I have the one I need but I have to find it first.

#9 ·
In addition to slotting the bolt holes to convert the intake to the 87 head bolt angle you also need a set of these angle adapters Professional Products 52110 Angled Adapter Bushing Set of 4 | eBay or you have to have the ability to mill a new bolt head pad on the intake. Either way is necessary to allow the bottom of the bolt head to engage the intake across its full diameter.

Bogie

Bogie

#10 ·
Anyone have a recommendation on a product to clean up some dried/caked oil? The fuel pump pushrod hole is all varnished up from not having a pushrod in it. I'm hoping to get a bore brush or something to clean it up.

I'm thinking carb cleaner but I'm looking for suggestions if there's something that will do a better job.

@Bogie -- I had a guy at work make me some angled shims that I'm going to drill and use for the angle correction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.