87 TBI blowing IGN fuse all of a sudden?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

87 TBI blowing IGN fuse all of a sudden?!

87 454 TBI has other issues like running rich but that's probably unrelated.

Always started fine but from one day to the next has decided to start blowing the IGN fuse as soon as I turn the ignition on.

Poured some fuel down the TBI and it ran a few seconds, so spark not the issue, fuel delivery.

Crawled under the Suburban and found a wiring coming off the pump. One black, white and one purple. Hooked up a wire to the +12v on the battery straight to the pump and presto starts right up and runs. (also my fuel gauge seems to be grounded out as it shows way over full all the time) maybe the 12v to the fuel pump is grounding out too?

What else is on that IGN 12v?

It's worth noting that once that truck has a run a few minutes and is switched off the fuel pump makes a ticking noise that sounds like a bouncing marble coming directly out of the fuel tank.

Anyways, what could be grounding out? Or is it the obvious? Anyone have a daigram on these motors of which wire is which? If I could get my fuel gauge fixed to that would be a bonus!

thanks in advance,

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 AM

Last photo:

so to summarize, I've got spark, but no fuel when this fuse is blown. It will run with ign fuse blown with power straight to the pump.

So it's not the ignition controle module.

Could it be oil pressure sender related?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

When you power the fuel pump direct it runs OK but I would check the current draw. The pump could still have internal problems and be causing the fuse to blow. Anything over 10 amps suspect the pump to be going bad.
Also the fuel gauge sender (in the tank) is powered by the same fuse as the pump. It could be causing the fuse to blow.
Beyond that there is the fuel prime relay, the hot fuel module and the oil pressure switch (fuel pump run) are not likely to be causing the fuse to blow.
You can get the wiring diagrams at www.autozone.com . You need to register then select -- do-it-yourself, then -- repair info, then -- enter vehicle, then -- select vehicle repair guide, then -- select chassis electrical, then -- select wiring diagrams.

vicrod

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.