'88-'98 Chevy/GMC stereo replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 10:18 PM
I fight what you f33r!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'88-'98 Chevy/GMC stereo replacement

I just came into posession of an '88 GMC fullsize longbed, its fot a 305 with muffler-free duals, I want to put my Kenwood CD player in the dash, is there any way to put it in the place where the stock head unit is?

I dunno if this is where a topic like this goes, but I didn't see an audio area

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

if thats the one that has the tape player kinda in the center of the dash, you can buy an aftermarket dash insert to install a cd player. i think the insert you have in there comes completly out, air vents and all.
what does your dash look like?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:20 PM
I fight what you f33r!

Last photo:

its the older style, with the radio and tape player that are separate, I wanted to put my CD player up in the spot that the radio is in
Old 08-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Last photo:

If you replace the factory radio, the kit puts the radio where the tape player/equilizer is and puts a plastic insert where the factory radio was. The insert looks like it will hold CD's but it too narrow. There is not enough depth in the factory radio location to mount anything other than the factory radio.

Vince

Last edited by 302/Z28; 08-10-2003 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

In my '89 the stereo head unit comes out and a catch all cubby hole goes in there. Where the unit is at in the middle of the dash the new stereo will fit in that area. I had a Pioneer installed with a remote control. Love it. The remote is one of the handiest things around. Never have to take your eyes off of the road or lean over to switch anything. If you want I can post you a pic later of what it looks like.

Kevin
Old 08-12-2003, 07:28 PM
I fight what you f33r!

Last photo:

thanks for the help guys, I was just wondering about the placement of a CD player
Old 08-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

My CD player is right in the stereo. If you have a remote CD changer I imagine it would go behind the seat. This is what it looks like, the remote is credit card size

This is the cubby hole that replaces the original stereo

Kevin
Old 08-13-2003, 02:03 PM
I fight what you f33r!

Last photo:

great pics! I'll probably end up putting some toggles in the old radio area, sure would be nice if GM would have used regular radios in the pre-95's
Old 12-05-2003, 08:03 AM

Where would I get the cubby hole insert and the moulding that fits around the CD player to make it look like Kevin45's pictures? I have an 89 chevy pickup that has the origional radio and the additional tape player in the middle of the dash. I would like to remove both of these and have a CD player installed similar to how Kevin45 did his. How much did it cost you Kevin and did you have it installed or install the system yourself?
Old 12-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Penumbra...Any radio will fit where mine is. If you notice behind the face of the radio there is a black piece of plastic. This is the universal adapter. When you by the adapter kit for the truck it comes with the universal adapter, the cubby hole piece, and it also comes with a flat piece that has knockouts for switches. I chose the cubby hole so I can throw the remote up in there. I didn't install mine, I took it down the road to a stereo shop and purchased the radio and had them install it for $25.00. I figured for the amount of time it would take me to pull everything out, put everything in and wire it, the $25 was worth it. Of course that was the price if I purchased the stereo there. It took them between 30-40 minutes and it was done. Well worth the money I thought. The universal adapter kits can be bought at any WalMart if you have on around along with the wiring harness that adapts the stereo to your vehicle. No cutting, no splicing, just plug the wires in to the factory connectors.

Kevin
Old 12-05-2003, 06:02 PM

I'll ask you Kevin since we have the same year truck so you might know the answer to this question. What is the appropriate spark plug gap for a 1989 chevy 350 engine?

Also, what does a ticking sound mean when the engine is running? I noticed this recently and think maybe it is a lifter rattling, a burn valve, or maybe just an exhaust leak. Can you think of any other potential causes of the ticking sound? It's not a loud knock, just a subtle ticking inside the engine when the motor is running. What do you think?

Kevin (thats my name too )
Old 12-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

.045 on the plug gap. As far as the ticking it could be anything and hard to diagnose without hearing it. It could be catalytic converter, lifter, etc. One thing you could do is either buy a stethascope for automobiles which is relatively inexpensive depending on where you go, or cut off a short piece of broom handle (about 2 foot long) and while the engine is running put the broom stick up to your ear and run it along the valve cover. This will let you listen inside the cover and if you have a rocker arm ticking you should be able to hear it. As far as the exhaust, just run your hand along the pipe (without touching it) and you will be able to feel where the exhaust is leaking if it is. The main areas being the joints and where the hanger rods are welded on.

Kevin
Old 12-06-2003, 11:58 PM

Do you think it could be a blown head gasket, a rod knock, a lifter rattling, etc...?

Kevin

Last edited by Penumbra; 12-11-2003 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Just one of the guys

Last photo:

Number one...you bought it off of a private individual. It was bought as is. So trying to go back on him is useless. He could always say that you did something to it in the week you had it. Number two...it has 111,000 miles. It is not a new truck. Number three...chances are that it is a lifter ticking and when it is cold the oil is thicker, therefore keeping the lifters pumped up more. When it warms up the oil is thinner and the pressure on the lifter is not as great. And no, changing to something like 50 weight won't help that much. And number four....just because you find the remnants of a thermostat gasket does not mean the truck overheated and blew a head gasket. It could have but you cannot tell for sure. I would hope that the thermostat had been changed at sometime with the miles it shows. If you think it is a head gasket, pull the plugs and see what kind of condition they are in. If they are super clean, like new, with no deposits on them then there is a possibility that the head gasket is bad and it is steam cleaning the plugs. The smoke you are seeing could also be from worn valve seals allowing traces of oil to burn. You may have to invest in a set of valve cover gaskets and spend a few hours and pull the valve covers to see if the lifters need to be adjusted. This would be a relatively easy fix. With no evidence of any anti-freeze in the oil or visa-versa I think you are safe there. It's just kinda hard to tell over the internet without hearing it run or actually see what it is doing. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Kevin
Old 12-09-2003, 12:56 PM

Well I added some STP oil treatment to the engine but haven't noticed much change in the ticking sound in the motor. I had my dad listen to it while it was running and he said it just sounded like the lifters need adjusting.

Can you tell me how many O2 sensors the 89 Chevy Truck has and where I might locate it / them so that I can replace it myself if needed?

Last edited by Penumbra; 12-11-2003 at 07:53 AM.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.