88 camaro 305 TBI upgrades? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

88 camaro 305 TBI upgrades?

have one of these in my shop he wants a better cam, heads and intake and headers with full exhaust, i dont have much experience in this. i can do the work no problem. i need to know what kind of options i have. he wants it to run good and be reliable. i dont know what kind of heads or cam to use. we are going to have a chip made or whatever you do with that. i need some ideas of what to start looking into

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTracGear
have one of these in my shop he wants a better cam, heads and intake and headers with full exhaust, i dont have much experience in this. i can do the work no problem. i need to know what kind of options i have. he wants it to run good and be reliable. i dont know what kind of heads or cam to use. we are going to have a chip made or whatever you do with that. i need some ideas of what to start looking into
cam = 200
heads = 800
intake = 150
headers = 200
exhaust = 200

That's nearly $1600 in parts for a wheezer 305. If he is going to spend money to make power, its cheaper to build a 350... always. I don't care if you have ten 305s sitting on pallets, even with the purchase of a core 350, its cheaper to make more power with a 350.

If he wants the "exclusivity" of making power with a 305, that's his choice. He'll pay more dollar per HP by far, but that's up to him.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Last photo:

im not looking for price on parts. that is kinda not really a concern here. just jsut wants a bit more out of it by doing this. cam sugestions? head sugestions? and intake sugenstion. brands, and part number adn or series. like a performer RPM? and just a rv cam. remember keeping stock computer and not wanting to have issues. but we can get it programed if need be
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have been working on a 1989 Camaro RS, that by the VIN is a 305 HO engine, for better than 6 years. It was purchased used, and the actual build spec's I do not know. It does, by appearance, look to be a 305 type harmonic balancer. It was changed to 3" 1/4 exhaust diameter though, and it also runs like the camshaft might also been changed. These spec's I do not know, she was not given any paper work when she purchased it, and I am a Ford fanatic by choice, so it could be a stock grind camshaft, for that matter.

I had Brian at http://tbichips.com sell her a stage 1 performance chip, as this will still pass California Smog specifications. What a difference this made in it's performance. Her 'check engine' light has not come back on since.

I do know it has a 381 rear gear...............local ricers beware.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

gears are being done. as well going to a 4.56 from i think a 2.73 . that alone will wake it up.. but he wants motor work done too
Old 06-02-2009, 11:46 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
gears are being done. as well going to a 4.56 from i think a 2.73 . that alone will wake it up.. but he wants motor work done too
That big of a jump, he may not need to recam the engine. A custom 'chip' he will need with that gear.

I have always gone with the theory, 'gear' to the engine, or build the engine to the 'gear'. The final tune helps. So pick the engine build parts, and gear it, or gear it, and pick the engine build parts.

He has you in a dilemma, as he is wanting you to 'gear' specifically, and 'design' the engine build, as well.

Is this being 'built' to be a quarter mile car?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I did many mods to my 4.3 chevy V6. It too is a TBI. I haven`t gotten a chip for it yet, but I`ll list the mods I did.
Block decked .010, cylinders bored .030
Bowl ported stock swirl port heads (these heads flow terrible)
Ferrea necked down stainless valves 1.94 1.50 back cut.
Isky computer compatible hydraulic roller cam. 204 209 duration @.050
Springs, locks, retainers to match the cam.
Comp Cams 1.6 ratio roller rockers. Comp heat treated push rods.
Crane Cams OEM replacement roller tappets.
.033 head gaskets, Quench distance .045
Speed pro flat top 4 valve relief coated skirt hyper pistons. 1.560 comp height. Stock replacement Hastings iron rings. .0012 in the hole at TDC.
Milodon true double roller timing set.
Replaced stock injectors with Venom TBI injectors (this is a very important step)
Added a adjustable vacuum regulated fuel pressure regulator with bung to check fuel pressure. set at 13 psi.
Fully ported TBI body.
K&N air filter in stock air cleaner.
Edelbrock performer TBI intake.
TBI injector spacer.
MSD Spiral core spark plug wires and MSD coil.
Dual exhaust running into 1 turbo muffler. Stock exhaust manifolds.
180 degree thermostat.
Rotating assembly fully balanced. (a requirement for a 4.3)
5 speed tranny with RAM clutch and pressure plate.
3.42 geared posi rear.
It still has a stock chip. The truck runs excellant, nice smooth idle. tachs up very quickly and has torque like gangbusters. It knocks off great mileage. Future plans include getting a chip. But for now, I`m very pleased with it.
It pulls my 21 foot gambler bass boat with ease.
You can do these same mods to a 305, while it certainly won`t be a killer, it`ll have strong torque. But, I sure wouldn`t go jumping on 350`s or mustangs with it.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

i do know the gears will be a big wakeup for it. do alot of ratio changes at my shop. he wants just an around town toy. has a bit of money to spend and wants to throw it at his car.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
i do know the gears will be a big wakeup for it. do alot of ratio changes at my shop. he wants just an around town toy. has a bit of money to spend and wants to throw it at his car.
Well a stroker is out of the equation. He will need a performance build that will run in the upper rpm range.

A single plane intake manifold, with pocket porting, and a relativity high lift cam might get him there(RPM range).

I am thinking a camshaft in the 110 lsa range will do it. Maybe a 108 lsa might work, but I don't have a chassis dyno program installed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.