Hot Rod Forum banner

88 Fiero GT Headlight problem

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MNFatz 
#1 ·
Hey, can someone tell me what I need to fix? I have an 88 Fiero GT. The problem is that the driverside headlight trys to come up but only lifts about 1 inch then falls back down! It acts like it doesn't have enough strength to lift up! I attempted to crank it up with the manual crank but it will only come up a few inches and when I shut the hood it falls back down! :confused:

#3 ·
This is very nearly a guaranteed problem in virtually all Fieros.

The problem revolves around some plastic parts that simply dissolve over time and some grease with a limited lifespan.

The easy way out is to buy new headlight motors. They are available online from quite a few different vendors. WARNING--shop around--the prices vary greatly. General speaking, you'll pay around $150 a side for the motors.

The other alternative is rebuild them yourself. There's a guy online who is well known in the fiero community that sells a bunch of different bizarre fiero-specific parts. The website is www.rodneydickman.com. He sells rebuild kits that come with a replacement brass gear and the other internals needed to bring the headlights up to snuff.

-Fatz
85 Fiero GT ZZ4

p.s. Check Firebird headlight motors from the same period. They may interchange if you use them on the opposite side of the car. The Firebird driver's side may fit the Fiero passenger side, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.