88 GMC interior color? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

88 GMC interior color?

Hope someone can help me. I've got an 88 GMC crew cab, old body style, that I want to buy a new cloth front seat for. (40-20-40) I'm confused about what color to order though. The original interior code for the truck is 23D, dark blue. On the old charts the WA number for that color is 7103. In the early 90's they apparently eliminated that interior code but the newer trucks have a 24 that is called dark blue. Does anyone know if this is the same color?

To complicate matters further, I noticed that 23 was still available as an exterior color in the 90's, WA7154, but they'd changed the name to Ocean Blue. The seat I like the best is only available in two shades of blue, navy and ocean, and I honestly can't tell from looking over the internet which would come closer to matching the existing back seat.

I guess my basic question is do WA numbers have any value when it comes to upholstery colors or do they only apply to exterior paint? Is there a standard chart somewhere of GM interior colors?

Oh, did I mention that I need to order new carpet as well?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sorry to say that your existing has probably faded over time so any new material is not likely to match..what I have seen over the years is we wind up doing all the seats and door panels in one of those to in order to get everything to match and look right..At this point we just go for something like the original that gives a good appearance to the car..

Sam
Old 07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Very true, and good advice, Sam.

I did the front buckets out of an '80's Ramcharger that had a red and black Pendleton plaid fabric for the inserts. I actually found new old stock that matched perfectly. The only problem was that the rear seat was 4 shades lighter than the new fabric. I thought it looked like hell, but the customer was too cheap to do the rear seat, so it stayed that way!

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys! Actually, I've owned the truck since it was about three years old and have always kept both seats covered. They are both in excellent condition but I'd like to replace the old front bench with something that has headrests and independent slide tracks.

Of course, the door panels have faded and will have to be resprayed but the headliner was recently replaced and they freshened up all the other trim panels for me while they had them out. I have a new dash cap to install that needs spraying as well. I'd love to contact the upholstery shop that did the headliner for me to find out what color they used but unfortunately, they've gone out of business.

Oh well, I guess I'll order the seat, since that's the big ticket item, and then try to order carpet to match it. I can always respray the interior panels and even the back seat if I have to.

Quick question........can you safely use the SEM spray on a cloth headliner or will it attack the adhesive?
Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You can use SEM spray on carpet and velour. I don't think you'll have any problem with spraying the headliner, but you have to use Color Coat, not Sure Coat which is water based. Color Coat needs to be sprayed on and comes in different size containers and in spray cans. If you can send me a piece of the headliner fabric, I can scan it and give you the SEM Color Coat formula for that color and you can have it mixed up locally.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebu
Hope someone can help me. I've got an 88 GMC crew cab, old body style, that I want to buy a new cloth front seat for. (40-20-40) I'm confused about what color to order though. The original interior code for the truck is 23D, dark blue. On the old charts the WA number for that color is 7103. In the early 90's they apparently eliminated that interior code but the newer trucks have a 24 that is called dark blue. Does anyone know if this is the same color?

To complicate matters further, I noticed that 23 was still available as an exterior color in the 90's, WA7154, but they'd changed the name to Ocean Blue. The seat I like the best is only available in two shades of blue, navy and ocean, and I honestly can't tell from looking over the internet which would come closer to matching the existing back seat.

I guess my basic question is do WA numbers have any value when it comes to upholstery colors or do they only apply to exterior paint? Is there a standard chart somewhere of GM interior colors?

Oh, did I mention that I need to order new carpet as well?
Most all suppliers will send you a small sample so you can confirm a match
Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A T 25
Most all suppliers will send you a small sample so you can confirm a match
This is true. Some might charge a small fee for a sample card, but certainly not all suppliers and manufacturers.

I found the lounge seats I want for my boat in the Cabella's catalog, and called them to ask if they could send me a sample of the vinyl to see if I could find a similar color vinyl and carpet to finish the rest of the boat with here locally. Cabella's contacted the seat manufacturer, and within 2 weeks the manufacturer sent me a nice sample card with 2 inch square samples of all of the colors they use on that model of lounge seat - totally free.

Now that I'm getting into upholstery, I'm toying with the idea of building my own lounge seats. Time will tell - I'm not to the point of doing the upholstery yet. Give your supplier a call, or zap them an e-mail.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Last photo:

Wow! That's a really nice offer, Dan. I may just have to take you up on that but honestly I'm hoping it won't come to needing to change the color of the headliner.

A friend reminded me last night that the truck has a Zimmer custom plate on it and I'd never really considered that they might have altered the interior colors but I guess it's a possibility. There's nothing in the cab that looks custom to me other than a wooden overhead console thingie that houses a CB but I know that the carpet isn't original and that the upper trim panels are white beneath the blue so........who knows.

At any rate I think I'm just going to try to pick a shade of blue for the seat & carpet that works with the headliner and the exterior color, on the bottom part of the dash, a respray the panels and the rear seat to match. When you really start looking at the current interior nothing matches exactly anyway so I guess I can't do any worse. I'd have noticed that sooner if I ever drove the doggone thing without the seat covers! lol

Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.