88 van 350 tbi problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

88 van 350 tbi problems

I bought a 88 van with a 350 tbi.Ill get right to it, i have replaced the fuel filter plugs wires rotor cap oil filter ,there is a knocking in the motor not at idle when i changed the plugs there were 4 wires wrong one that was never pushed on the plug was soaking wet 3 plugs with the gap prong completly gone not even sure how it ran so i thought it was simply a bad spark knock after replacing all and setting the timing just reving it it knocks if i retard the timing and rev it it dont knock but when i drive it it barley goes you get in to it it tries but never has much power while driving i reach down advance the timing it picks up power but realy starts to knock???? What the heck I dont no what to do....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The rod bearings are most likely worn out. You have a classic case of "rod knock", IMHO.

The crankshaft will need turned or replaced, depending on how much wear has occurred. And new bearings, of course. Rods AND mains.

Sometimes, an unscrupulous seller (or a driver trying to get the last few miles from their ride) will pull a wire from the cylinder w/the knock. This will lessen the knock a little.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM

You may have lots of carbon build up on the piston cause to have excessive hot spot.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar100
You may have lots of carbon build up on the piston cause to have excessive hot spot.
I was thinking of that also as a possibility. You can try seafoam or the old water through the vacuum line trick to see if it clears up. If it is a rod knock it should sound much lower than a carbon ping.

Chet
Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

hi there,
too much timing advance is detonation knock

check fuel pressure. may be low, IE weak/dying pump.

Last edited by fast68; 03-19-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
I was thinking of that also as a possibility. You can try seafoam or the old water through the vacuum line trick to see if it clears up. If it is a rod knock it should sound much lower than a carbon ping.
You mean run it through the gas tank???
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=fast68]too much timing advance is detonation knock

check fuel pressure. may be low, IE weak/dying pump.[

Last edited by G20vanman; 03-16-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM

Do you have a check engine light on or any codes set? This engine should have a knock sensor. It does sound like you have carbon build up in the cumbustion chambers. Like you said someone had the ign. wires all jacked up so that might have done it. Set timing to specs. Run a compression test to see where it's at. Run high octane gas for now. And like was mentioned pour some seafoam in the throttle body slowly while engine's running and see if that helps.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 AM

** tbi problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The rod bearings are most likely worn out. You have a classic case of "rod knock", IMHO.

The crankshaft will need turned or replaced, depending on how much wear has occurred. And new bearings, of course. Rods AND mains.

Sometimes, an unscrupulous seller (or a driver trying to get the last few miles from their ride) will pull a wire from the cylinder w/the knock. This will lessen the knock a little.
Ok guys I have replaced the rod bearings and check clearance and shaft looked at crosshatching in cylinders all good added a high flow oil pump.Before this I tried a few other things that the forum told me to like gas pressure is at 10.5 lbs running ran the seafoam thruogh it.Same thing set the timing idles smooth slow rev seems fine get into it it knockes hard as it did before if I pull the plg wire off #3 and rev it it wont knock also if I retard the timing it wont knock???????? HELP HELP
Old 04-06-2009, 07:29 AM

88 tbi

[QUOTE=G20vanman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
too much timing advance is detonation knock

check fuel pressure. may be low, IE weak/dying pump.[
Checked it 10.5psi while running could it be the regulator in the throttle body and can you check that?????
Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 AM

Still havin trouble 88 350 tbi

Ok guys I have replaced the rod bearings and check clearance and shaft looked at crosshatching in cylinders all good added a high flow oil pump.Before this I tried a few other things that the forum told me to like gas pressure is at 10.5 lbs running ran the seafoam thruogh it.Same thing set the timing idles smooth slow rev seems fine get into it it knockes hard as it did before if I pull the plg wire off #3 and rev it it wont knock also if I retard the timing it wont knock???????? HELP HELP
Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I'm sorry if my post caused you to spend time and money wastefully, and a bit surprised that the bearings weren't at fault. They say the road to hell is paved w/good intentions! me><the problem

That said, I would have checked the bearing clearances first before buying and replacing anything- plastigage is cheaper than bearings...

Please tell me you did the main bearings, or at least plastigaged them!?!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry if my post caused you to spend time and money wastefully, and a bit surprised that the bearings weren't at fault. They say the road to hell is paved w/good intentions! me><the problem

That said, I would have checked the bearing clearances first before buying and replacing anything- plastigage is cheaper than bearings...

Please tell me you did the main bearings, or at least plastigaged them!?!
Yes I did they seemed fine but wouldnt the motor knock all the time wheather there is a load or not and why can i pull a plug wire drive it up the road and it not knock same if i drive it and retard the timing why does the knock go away.man im lost
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
WFO

Last photo:

About all that's left is a wrist pin or piston slap

Wrist pins can be caused by wear, detonation or pre ignition. You mentioned the wired being crossed up, this could have hammered the piston pretty good.

Piston slap is usually bad when first starting the engine cold and will lessen after it's hot.

A wrist pin will be there all the time.

The sound goes away because the force of combustion isn't happening- so the parts in that cylinder aren't being stresses.

You could try a mechanics stethoscope to see if you can tell if the noise is above the crank, but below the head. With plug wire connected.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
About all that's left is a wrist pin or piston slap

Wrist pins can be caused by wear, detonation or pre ignition. You mentioned the wired being crossed up, this could have hammered the piston pretty good.

Piston slap is usually bad when first starting the engine cold and will lessen after it's hot.

A wrist pin will be there all the time.

The sound goes away because the force of combustion isn't happening- so the parts in that cylinder aren't being stresses.

You could try a mechanics stethoscope to see if you can tell if the noise is above the crank, but below the head. With plug wire connected.
cold or hot it knocks the same kinda like a spark knock you now the more you get in to it the louder it gets

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.