Hot Rod Forum banner

882 SB Chevy heads

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  andybird 
#1 ·
I have read several articles recently where folks are talking about 882 heads as if they were really the cream of the crop. I assume that the 882 refers to the serial number 333882. But,from the Chevy mania website that has sbc serial numbers, they say these heads are extremely crack prone. <a href="http://www.chevymania.com/index.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.chevymania.com/index.cfm</a>

My 400 heads are 333882's and I'm thinking of dumping them. Am I the goof?

Grins
pc

#2 ·
with a little porting in the exhaust , and gasket matching the intakes, these heads perform well. If your worried about cracking do like i did , put in a low temp thermostat , with a 4 core rad.
they are 1.95? intake and 1.65 exhaust they flow well and probably wont crack if your not getting it too hot. mike. :)

#4 ·
Mike,
I am actually planning on adding a Weiand 142 or 177 blower in 6 months, so I really want the low compression. I want to be around 8.0 to 1. I will upgrade everything then...crank, pistons,(forged) rods,(H or I beam) roller rockers, Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads, etc.

But until then, I still want to have a cool driver.

Thanks
Pc

#7 ·
Originally posted by johnsongrass1:
<strong>882's do respond well to porting and the exhaust needs the work. They stop fowing at around .450 lift. I consider them a great street choice where a budget is of concern.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I must agree with this I have had no problems using the 882s with 202s up to 512 lift with the Z28 springs and NO cracking problems!And i have over heated them on the road and in the water.I use the steel shim type head gaskets, OEM type, or the marine Stainless Steel from NAPA. No composite crap with iron heads!Any head or block will crack with repeated overheating!

#9 ·
if your on a budget you can get the 882's just worked over on the exhaust and then they'll be good for as much naturally aspirated low end grunt as you can make, you only need high flow and big valves if your going to high revs,

the sportsman II's are $600 a pair bare - porting the 882's should be a lot less than that

if you've already got a car/engine with 882's on then spend a few hundred dollars on them, if your out there buying new/used then go for aftermarket

I would have bought a pair of torquers recently but the delivery charge and all the extra little bits and pieces I would need killed that idea, so I'm goin to work the exhaust ports myself next weekend

in an ideal world with an almost unlimited budget, there's loads I would do to my engine (like all forged parts instead of OEM cast), but I don't need to and can't afford to, so...

It all comes down to application, street = budget,
race/dragstrip only = aftermarket

Like the guy says, he's planning on going Dart1 when he gets his blower anyway, so for now the 882s will be plenty good enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.