89 700r valve body question for lockup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 Transmission

I have a 700R4 I want to use with a carbureted engine....there are many kits to aid with the lock-up, but i am looking for the simplest yet most effective way for this function. I purchased one kit that stated it worked with both 2004R and 700R4 which was not true. Any suggestions on this is greatly appreciated.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Here's something that might be helpful-

http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_C...etup_Info.html
Old 09-10-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

The simplest way is a Toggle switch.
It's best to use a newer style 4-Pin Brake light switch from a car/truck that came with Cruise or OD Trans, with which ever kit you choose. Run the 12V+ through the Brake switch to Pin-A on the Trans plug, this will disengage TCC lockup when the Pedal is depressed.
4-Pin Trans plug Diagram> http://www.hughesperformance.com/pdfs/HP700-R4.pdf
Lots of Wiring diagrams> http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm

Cheap & Simple Kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT
This uses a TH400 1-Pin Trans plug and a Pr. switch for 4th gear. Adding a inline Toggle switch is easy. This will allow you to turn off the Lockup around town which helps prevent Engine lugging.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:32 AM

89 700r valve body question for lockup

I have my 77 shortwide that I put a 700r in I got the b n m 70248 lockup kit, it runs off of the electric vss (vehicle speed sensor), I was told from summit tech help that its all external wiring that u,a have to do to work properly , well the instructions on the kit say on some applications you have to go into the valve body and remove a spring from a cylinder that controls clutch lockup. Does anyone know about this, cause now the tranny is in truck and full of fresh fluid it drives and goes thru all gears but never locks up at any speed any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Has anyone heard about having to take a spring out of the valve body for lockup to work
Old 09-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

i merged all your same questions / threads on the same problem to one thread here....

a 1989 valve body from a 700r4 will not have a lock up valve assembly in it. That was in the early design valve body. GM installed aluminum plugs in the bore of the valve body and at later date the bore was not even machined out
Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Have you ever used the b n m kit Im talking about? I'm wondering why I can't get it to lock up at any speed I have it all wired properly I'm preety sure thanks..
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

you posted in another thread the electronic speed-O was not working.

Is the speed-O working or not?

Is the VSS installed? Is the metal reluctor ring on the out put shaft?

in the photo here... do you have these two parts installed on the transmission? Or just the VSS installed, not the metal reluctor ring?

Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Yes I got the speedo workin, the speedo wires were spliced with the red and black wire from the bnm lockup box I cut the wires from the lockup box so I could at least get the speedometer working I did that and the speedo worked then I hooked back the lock up box and never worked
Old 09-11-2011, 02:50 PM

Ok so I went out their and switch the wires going to the vss reverse and our worked
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

The B^M kit that uses the VSS is a very good kit. It is a little expensive, though...

FRANK
Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

just leave unhooked i build transmisssion for a living done many 700r4s have a very good sucess rate with them i convert them to non lock up main reason im located in west virginia it a up and down hills so the converter constantly locks and unlocks tbi full size trucks and 2.8 s10 are the worse ive un pluged many of them and had really happy customers if im doing a rebuild i use a nonlockup converter and a transgo non lock up kit in all of them mainly the converter weighs less and the tgo kit adds more fluid but un hookn it will not hurt it in hilly country if u live in the mid west were there no hills that would be diffrent it would run cooler locked and lower engine rpms if u do use a lock up have it wired up to only work in 4th gear and another note as was posted earlier the 86 or 87 was the last to use a lockup valve they sell a kit to make it mechanical but i never care how they act in a low hp or heavy vehical
Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshp83
just leave unhooked i build transmisssion for a living done many 700r4s have a very good sucess rate with them i convert them to non lock up main reason im located in west virginia it a up and down hills so the converter constantly locks and unlocks tbi full size trucks and 2.8 s10 are the worse ive un pluged many of them and had really happy customers if im doing a rebuild i use a nonlockup converter and a transgo non lock up kit in all of them mainly the converter weighs less and the tgo kit adds more fluid but un hookn it will not hurt it in hilly country if u live in the mid west were there no hills that would be diffrent it would run cooler locked and lower engine rpms if u do use a lock up have it wired up to only work in 4th gear and another note as was posted earlier the 86 or 87 was the last to use a lockup valve they sell a kit to make it mechanical but i never care how they act in a low hp or heavy vehical
If you truly built transmissions for a living, you would NEVER tell anyone to just leave the lock-up unhooked on a 700R4. Anybody who has been around a 700 should know they need the converter to apply to keep the 3-4 clutches cool in 4th gear. Yes, you can use a "non lock-up" valve, in the pump to convert to non lock-up, but just telling anyone to "just leave it unhooked", without the conversion is very bad advice...

Frank
Old 09-13-2011, 09:41 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

like i said i hadnt had a one burn up from it and ive made a lot of happy customers by that here in wva there probley not one mile of perfectly flat roads wich makes the lockup not work as it was intended
Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshp83
like i said i hadnt had a one burn up from it and ive made a lot of happy customers by that here in wva there probley not one mile of perfectly flat roads wich makes the lockup not work as it was intended
If the trans spends much time in 4th, you need it.

Frank

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.