89 c1500 brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 AM
SB S10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

89 c1500 brakes

i have an 89 Chevy c1500 2wd pickup. i bleed the brakes and cant get no pedal, so i put new calipers and pads on the front and bleed them and still no brakes. so i change the master cylinder, same thing. there are no leaks and no air in the lines that i can get out. Ive even replaced the proportioning valve and the dump valve.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by runn141
i have an 89 Chevy c1500 2wd pickup. i bleed the brakes and cant get no pedal, so i put new calipers and pads on the front and bleed them and still no brakes. so i change the master cylinder, same thing. there are no leaks and no air in the lines that i can get out. Ive even replaced the proportioning valve and the dump valve.
Did you bleed all 4-wheels or just the front ? Go back fill the M/C with fluid and go to the passenger rear wheel and bleed it first after you have it done move to the driver side rear and bleed it, When done there go to the right front and bleed it and then to the left front. And what ever you do never let the M/C run out of fluid or then you have to do it all again. After you get the air all out check the pedal and if still not happy then check the adjustment on the rear drums they might need a little adjustment also.JMO

Cole
Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

ive done exactly that in that order. and the only brakes that will lock up on dry pavement are the back. and the pedal still goes to about an inch from the floor.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Sounds to me like you might have got a bad M/C it does happen.

Cole
Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

When you were changing the prop valve,or master cyl did you accidentaly crimp smash or twist any of the steel lines? Or were they plugged with dirt or filth when they were off?

First thing I would do is give the system a good flush at all four corners to make sure its all moving correctly. If it is, Then give it a good bleed with fresh fluid and you should be okay.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You swapped teh front calipers, did you put them on the correct sides, this is a common mistake. The bleeder must be at the top.
Sometimes on those trucks it is helpful to just open the bleeders and fill the master and let it gravity bleed for a while (until you see fluid).

Chet
Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
You swapped teh front calipers, did you put them on the correct sides, this is a common mistake. The bleeder must be at the top.
Sometimes on those trucks it is helpful to just open the bleeders and fill the master and let it gravity bleed for a while (until you see fluid).
Chet you read my mind , I was just thinking about the same thing about the calipers being on the right sides, And i gravity bleed my brakes just about everytime. Always works for me well most every time.

Cole
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Sounds to me like you might have got a bad M/C it does happen.

Cole
i had bought 2 new M/C, both were bad. so i got a used one from a friend's truck that i know had brakes.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:48 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
i have them on with the bleeders at the top. and im letting it gravity bleed at this moment and no lines are crimped. how many bowls of brake fluid should i let run through it?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runn141
i have them on with the bleeders at the top. and im letting it gravity bleed at this moment and no lines are crimped. how many bowls of brake fluid should i let run through it?
Just let it bleed down about 1/4 in or so to make sure all the air is out. Are you trying to gravity bleed one at a time or all four ? I usually do one at a time. JMO You can let it bleed down as far as you want to be satisfied that the air is out thats up to you just keep a eye on it and don't let it go dry on you.

Cole
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

i had bought a used M/C from a truck that i know had brakes. i got it and the dump valve and proportioning valve all together. my dad put it on and he didnt bleed the M/C because we never took the lines loose from it to the proportioning valve. should we do that? he says no. now he argues that its the booster not getting enough vacuum. i always thought that if it went bad the pedal would be hard to push. then he says it may be electrical(i dont see how) unless its from the module that wires from the dump valve are going to. what is the dump valve? i see a bleeder on it. we have bought so many new parts for this truck, its to far to turn back and junk it.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Here click the link and read where it says pedal problems. http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_kelseyhayes_rwal.htm .

Cole
Old 11-25-2010, 11:04 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Here click the link and read where it says pedal problems. http://www.aa1car.com/library/abs_kelseyhayes_rwal.htm .

Cole
after reading that i think im gonna do away with the dump valve and just bypass it. if i can get a coupling from a 5/16 line to a 1/4. ive had trouble with wiring on this truck anyhow so i figure thats the problem.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

If the dump valve is stuck open you won't have any pressure to the rear wheels. Silly question but are the rear brakes adjusted up enough so they drag a little when your turning them by hand?

These trucks never did have a great feeling pedal but they stop OK not great. If you do away with the RWABS the pedal will come up a little.

Have you bled the dump valve as well?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

the rear brakes are adjusted, i had them working once before but that was all that was working.
i put new pads and calipers on the front.
i have had 3 M/C on it.
i have changed the proportioning valve.
i have done completely away witht the dump valve.
i have no leaks anywhere.
i have gravity bled.
i have bled them manually.
i get no air coming out of the lines.

and still no pedal or brakes to stop it in gear. the pedal still goes to about an inch from the floor. what do i have left to do???

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.