89 CapriceLT1 swap... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 05:11 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

89 CapriceLT1 swap...

That will prolly never be finished...
collection from other boards, this started 6-7 months ago...

Well pulled the tired lo5 today and cleaned out the home for the LT1 gonna go T56 later on ,but for right now I'm gonna rebuild the 700r4 and use it behind the lt1 till i get all the parts for the 6 speed swap. This thing seems lighter than that Monte carlo I did before this.

Old engine and trans

LT1 harness ready to be grafted to the old lo5 harness, thinking about trying to hook up the newer wiper motor and washer tank.

I love the power of the 94-96's , but the boxies handle and ride so much better.
naa the wireing isn't that bad, i like to do it myself
A. I'm a cheap bastard
B. I like to have a idea of how things work , not just order it from somewhere and go i dunno how it works it just does ..
and C. i know that anyone who does this kinda thing as a business is laughing all the way to the bank.
this stuff isn't that hard , you just need to know what does what and having the manual at least for the car your installing it in helps too, but for the doner harness its reall common sence, you know the stuff you can weed out , ABS , the f body harnesses have the fog lights and tons of other stuff in em , where as the b body harness is pretty straight forward.

ok someone was asking about engine mounts, its simple, you just take the upside down one on the pass side

remove the stud in front of it , turn it over and bolt it back up ..

now.i went through and removed all the old tbi wiring from the engine bay harness its not hard , just remove all the loom and tape, and starting at the connector for what ever sensor you want to remove, trace the wire back and cut it off, I'll remove the firewall plug tommorow and finish removing the wires , but i just wanted to get the main part out of the way. pretty much all your left with it the power wires to the inside and from the alt and starter and a temp wire and oil pressure light wire.for the pass side and some misc wires for the i/p that comes in on the pass side of the dash.

leftovers..

now i place it back in the car and i can fine tune it to the lenghts i need to merge with the 95 caprice harness.

as you can see the wires for all the power come from the starter, and then goes along to oilpan up and over the front of the engine,back down and back along the pan and then up over the booster and into the firewall plug. so you can see i have wayy too much wire left over.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last photo:

Well won a set of beehives on ebay and some retainers too, so I sent the heads to the machine shop to get the seats shaved so I got the right install height ,he's gonna cut the seats and reassemble em and install new seals and tap em for screw in studs. figured I'd do it now instaed of having to take the heads off after the engine is in the car, now I can install a larger cam later on and not have to worry about springs.

Before...

After...

Cleaned the tops of the pistons with throttle body cleaner, really works great at removing the carbon.
Before...

After..just scrubed a little with a tooth brush and wiped it off..
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last photo:

Just a small vid I made of the lt1 swap into my caprice..long way to go.
YouTube - 1989 CapriceLT1 swap part 1

well got my heads back today, guy gave me a 3 angle valve job,checked for cracks and supplied and installed the stem seals, cut the spring pockets for the beehives ,and pulled the pressed in studs and threaded em for my screw in studs and reassembled em , all for 250 bucks.

well ran into some complications...when i was installing my threaded rocker stubs , broke a boss in the head...so that finished, so I won a set of aluminum heads off ebay and i'm gonna use those instead.

Got my new heads , took em apart ,cleaned em up and installed and lapped my newly cut valves and installed new seals and my beehives...

till the next installment...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Nice DIY stuff man!

Since you're in the DIY phase... how about maybe a quick port job on those aluminums. The Irons flow better than the aluminums so you might want a quick bowl blend to recapture some of the power you lose with the aluminums.

Its not a big difference, but the aluminums flow about 20% better than the L98 TPI heads, and the irons are the same as Vortecs. So the irons flow about 15% better than the LT1 aluminums.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Nice DIY stuff man!

Since you're in the DIY phase... how about maybe a quick port job on those aluminums. The Irons flow better than the aluminums so you might want a quick bowl blend to recapture some of the power you lose with the aluminums.

Its not a big difference, but the aluminums flow about 20% better than the L98 TPI heads, and the irons are the same as Vortecs. So the irons flow about 15% better than the LT1 aluminums.
yea i know, but right now I'm running the stock b body cam so not worry about lost hp, camaros had 275 and vettes had 300 with this same head so I'm good for now, might get a set later and send em to loyd elliot for some magic. biggest thing is i want to get it in the car and running.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Good point. The Y and F bodies used larger cams, though. The stock B-body cam is 191/196 duration rated at 260 hp. The F-body made 275 with something like 203/208 duration. Its all pretty much the same mild stuff, so you'll be dancing around 250 hp or so.

Here's a good link that might help with LT1 stuff.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...lt1_enige.aspx
Old 12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last photo:

point I was making is I'll be making at least the stock b bodies 260-265 with these same heads, but its in a car that is a couple of hundered pound less , with better handling than a 94-96 compairable caprice, and I got a 3.42 gear stock so it should up the fun factor a little bit. Apriciate the link, once I get it in and running , thats when the mods begin. I've been around a few LT1's , hell before this i swapped a 96 lt1 and 4l60Einto a monte SS
Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Sweet. Please keep us posted. Excellent journal material here!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.