89 dodge dakota anti lock and brake light on - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

89 dodge dakota anti lock and brake light on

89 dakota 2 wheel drive, automatic,3.9 v6, the other day my anti lock and brake lights on the dash came on and wont go off,the brakes seem fine,i have asked around what could be wrong and everyone said that it was the speed censor but they also said if it was that then the speedometer wont work,but my speedometer works fine. i know nothing about this anti lock stuff and i dont have the money to take this to someone to have it fixed so im hoping that someone on here can give me some ideas on what this could be. someone told me that there is a way to ground the rear wheel anti lock diagnostic connector and get the codes out of the anti lock thing but i dont know how to ground the connector so anyway can someone please help me with this thanks alot

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2006, 10:43 PM

anti-lock

My Dakota is newer but experienced the same problem. Turned out to be the fuse for the tail lights was blown. Sounds weird but replaced the fuse and all was well
Steve
Old 06-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

If it isn't a fuse, Don't take a chance of causing a Safety Issue..unlike the rest of the Vehicle, the anti~locks should be repaired by someone with the knowledge and diagnostic tools to assure safety..

You gotta think.."Would I put my family in here and go on a road trip" before attempting such repairs..If the answer's no..Park it, and save up your bread..

Just my two cents worth..

Doc
Old 06-04-2006, 01:21 AM
When all else fails burn it

Last journal entry: more hiding stuff
Last photo:

well you can either hook up a scan tool and it should tell you. or sometimes you can use a test light. by hook it up to the connector then counting the number it blinks then look it up in a trouble code book. easiest way would be hook up a scan tool. might as well have it fixed right cuz it the most important system on you truck.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:30 AM

thanks guys i checked the fuses and they show to be good so i dont know i guess ill just have to wait and get some money to have it looked at but thanks for everything
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 AM

Last journal entry: Painting
Last photo:

When was the last time you changed the brake pads and checked your fluid?
I have a Pontiac-Transport that came up with a similar problem. The fluid was low and the pads are needing to be changed soon. Plus I had crud on the area of the sensor to the wheel. A good cleaning and fluid helped to solve the light problem.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:33 AM

the front pads were changed less than a year ago but the back brakes i havent changed and i have had the truck a little over a year so i might check that stuff too but like i said i have drove the truck since the lights came on and it still strops just like always and also i checked the fluid when i noticed the lights were on and the fluid was fine does anyone know where you can buy a cheap scan tool to get the codes out i know as far as the check engine light goes i can turn the switch on and off 3 times to get the check engine codes but not the anti lock codes, wal mart use to sell a code reader that would get the anti lock codes out but they dont carry them anymore
Old 06-04-2006, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

89 Dakota brake light

You dont need to buy a scan tool. Most any of the parts places, such as Auto Zone, Shucks, etc, will let you plug in a scan tool, all you have to do is leave youre drivers license at the counter till you return the scanner and they will "decode" what the scanner recorded.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

OK what does this have to do with your engine????

Isn't there a brake department on this site?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:50 PM

yep i guess there is a brake section on here i guess im just use to asking questions about my engine so i just poted it in the engine section by mistake sorry and thanks for the info i will go to autozone and hook this thing up
Old 06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrgoodwrench
89 dakota 2 wheel drive, automatic,3.9 v6, the other day my anti lock and brake lights on the dash came on and wont go off,the brakes seem fine,i have asked around what could be wrong and everyone said that it was the speed censor but they also said if it was that then the speedometer wont work,but my speedometer works fine. i know nothing about this anti lock stuff and i dont have the money to take this to someone to have it fixed so im hoping that someone on here can give me some ideas on what this could be. someone told me that there is a way to ground the rear wheel anti lock diagnostic connector and get the codes out of the anti lock thing but i dont know how to ground the connector so anyway can someone please help me with this thanks alot
there is a speed sensor located on the diff that has nothing to do with the trans in that year... it is for the abs.. the trans still has a speedo on the extension housing for that year...
the sensor may not be the fix, but a good start on where to look
Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

I,m with doc find the problem before driving, The red light means there is a pressure problem or the park brake is on. if it was an abs only problem just the yellow would be illuminated.The red signals a foundation brake problem, could be as simple as fluid level sensor or could be a major problem .
Old 06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'm going to move this thread over to the Brakes and suspension forum. Hopefully a little bit of visibilty over there will help you out.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

my buddy had an 89 Dakota with a 3.9l and the ANTI-LOCK and BRAKE light came on as well. we checked everything: fluid, front pads, rear shoes, ran diagnostics and nothing caught our attention. he phoned the dealership and they said it is supposed to come on at XX miles and the only way to turn it off was to take it into the dealership and have them clear it($$$$).

we ended up removing the bulbs from the dash.

Dale
Old 06-05-2006, 09:41 PM

hey there thanks for moving this for me and thanks alot for all the help first let me say that i too thought that since both the lights were on that it was something besides just the anti lock, i thought that maybe my ebrake was on but it wasnt, but i noticed that when i put the ebrake on the red light gets brighter then when i let the ebrake off the red light gets dimmer so dont know whats up with that except that it is telling me that something is wrong with the brakes, and also after i thought about it i realized that there was a censor that had nothing to do with the speedo cause i changed the trans when i got the truck and it had the gear thing on the trans,but i think im gonna go to autozone maybe tomorrow or the next day say see if i can pull the codes and see what happens, another thing that i dont think i mentioned is that since i have had the truck every now and then when your setting at a stop light the brake pedal will kind of start going to the floor really really slowly and if you let up on it and hit it again then the pedal stays where it should i thought it may be a bad master cylinder or booster but since it only happens now and then i didnt really worry about it but will this cause these lights to come on and if so will there be a code stored throught the anti lock for that,,,,,,,once again thanks for all your help

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.