Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 89 GM TBI 350 - Quit Running...Where to Start?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 06:21 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks everyone I finally got it figured out and running.

The reader at first showed no codes - but I forgot the battery had run down and I had removed the cables and cleaned the terminal ends before charging - this resetting the computer - doh.

It still wouldn't start and so I started with the spark plugs. I pulled #1 and #8 both were fouled and wet with gas. I think I has read somewhere that these low compression engines have a tough time with fouled plugs.

I looked the plugs up online and neat...the truck had the completely wrong sparkplug - one made for a smaller truck .035 gap. The ones that fit the truck where a different #, shorter and had a .045 gap.

That being said, once those were replaced - the truck started right up and ran like a top...drove it around the block flogging it the whole way and thought I had the problem solved.

Got home, shut her off - wouldn't start again.

So I got the reader out and it was reporting the CTS - once that was replaced (and the sparkplugs) now it starts and runs like it always should have...I should have looked at this back in Nov. 06 when I bought it - probably would have saved me 100.00 bucks in fuel alone!

Again thanks everyone for their suggestions. Now who wants to buy this thing?