Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 89 Ranger Idle Problem
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 01:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

89 Ranger Idle Problem

Hello folks, first time here, hope you guys can help where others haven't been able.

I have an 89 Ranger, 2.3L, 5 speed. It has a high idle problem. I've taken the IAC off and cleaned it out. Changed the plugs, the ign. coils are good. Changed the fuel filter and pump (pump was bad). First off, when i start the truck in the cold weather, it runs really rough, takes a while to heat up, and sputters alot and emits alot of smoke out the exhaust, till it's warmed up then all goes away. But it will also idle at a high rate, no tach so don't know how high for sure. If i let it warm up for a bit, the idle will drop, but not down to normal rpms, probablly around 1k or so, maybe just a little bit more, but at least that high. when i hit the gas and take it off again, the idle stays elevated and then drops down again after about 4-5 secs. i know the idle is factory set on these trucks so i can't adjust it, and I get a CEL light on sometimes, but usually after i've been driving for about 10-12 miles, and none of the local auto parts stores can check this system, it's OBDI adn they all check OBD II. Please help with some suggestions, inspection station won't inspect me till the idle is lowered.