Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 89 Ranger Idle Problem
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: Silverado Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Results...

I would take off the EGR and replace or clean it. You'll have to get a gasket for it as it gets very hot, you cannot make one and expect it to leak air. You want everything in that area to be air tight. Be sure to redo the booting process as well. Another area to look into would be the EGR sensor, loose connection, possible leaking hoses is another situation you have to carefully examine. The EGR isn't a cheap replaceable part, although the sensor isn't too bad in relation to price, getting cheap parts will only come back and replacement in warrenty is best advised. The EGR has a number on the part, be sure to get the same number as different EGR's will interchange..this is an important fact.

An code 11 is a pass on the KOEO test.

A code 77 is nothing to worry about, you just didn't goose to gas before that test was performed.

The code 13 is important, replace the IAC sensor motor, reboot and do the 10 mile test. 30 min is the min for the time to reboot the computer. When I do it, after any replacements of parts that is engine related (sensors or such)
I'll do the 10 mile road test (The engine will run like crap the first time you start it, as it has to relearn everything again for the ECM) This sensor controls your idle. If its bad, you are not going to be able to control your idle as its not adjustable on a EFI engine...even tho some EFI engines has a screw for it. Code 41 could be a part of the IAC sensor being bad. Worry about this code after replacement. Luck has nothing to do with replaceing parts, check your work, take your time...and do it right. Follow the code breakdown as the first code you get will be the one you should pay attention to first.....