89 Throttle body 350 rough idle and hesitation - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

http://www.tbichips.com/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Here is one of the guy trucks youtube vid's stock truck with a few mods listed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOjuMsv_wY
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 PM

thanks latech the one behind the distributor has two wires and it has one above the oil filter than has one wire, which i know is for the gauge after replacing it some time ago...but i know for a fact that the one behind the distributor on my truck can be unpluged and the truck runs just like when its plugged in...so if thats the sensor that kicks the fuel pump on after the engine starts what does it mean that i can have it unplugged and run...i've torn into the wire harness sometime back to make sure someone hadn't been splicing wires, i was having other problems at the time and wanted to eliminate that but everything was in order...unless the were splicing wires behind the firewall that oil sensor hasn't been tampered with ... are you sure on an 89 the fuel pump is supposed to be routed through that sensor? I'm not saying trying to say your wrong but thats the first i've ever heard of it on such an old vehicle and on this particular truck that doesn't seem to be true i know newer fuel injected cars have all kinds of sensors like that to prevent damage but i didn't think in 89 it was all that complex of a system
Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
Here is one of the guy trucks youtube vid's stock truck with a few mods listed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOjuMsv_wY
yeah my truck would take a lot of motor to do that...with a 2.73 gear and a locker it just doesn't like to spin the tires never tried brake torquing it though, but i don't care to replace the damn 700r anytime soon either lol
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Race The Truck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martee373
yeah my truck would take a lot of motor to do that...with a 2.73 gear and a locker it just doesn't like to spin the tires never tried brake torquing it though, but i don't care to replace the damn 700r anytime soon either lol
LOL! Just a taste of what one could do not have to do! Look at my son's build on my journal!! different levels of mods depends on what you want and how much money you have to do it! Like I said go through the truck site see what you need to get for what you want for your truck! You can get a used actron scanner for about 50-80 bucks of ebay to read the computer or if you know any one that has one for OBD1 Not in much demand or you can buy a tunner program for your computer and hook it up to you truck then you don't need a scanner. So if that a better option then here is a web site for that www.moates.net!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Last photo:

check the throttle body base gasket for vaccum leaks and the vac ports are known to plug up on these throttle bodies, throwing the map senser out of range, also check your timing , the distributor shafts go bad throwing the timing out as much as 30 degrees ( the reluctor wheel under the rotor button can get loose and turn or crack or the insulation can go bad on the reluctor wheel , causing the north and south poles to screw up )
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

You HAVE replaced the fuel filter, right?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM

66gmc yes i believe i stated that earlier...new fuel filter plugs wires cap button

dklong i just put the throttle body back on it from cleaning those ports and i have rechecked to make sure i didn't have any leaks, the timing i just set when i put the motor in and i'm pretty sure the distributor is fine as the truck was running great before it sat for a little while in the garage.

chevytruckguy all i want for this truck is for it to run and drive, without i'm never gonna be able to get back on my feet, i have work i can do but i need the truck to get there and i don't have so much as $1 to my name so reguardless of what tools would help, i can't run out and buy a fuel pressure gauge or a computer scanner, its just not an option. I realize its going to be hard to figure out without being able to access the computer but I simply don't have a choice
Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

remove the TB, remove the IAC valve, and clean the gunk from those passages and the tip of the IAC valve with spray carb cleaner and a rag. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Russ
Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 PM

northstar T I just took the throttle body off a couple of days ago and did all of that...thanks for the suggestion though
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Could be trash or partially clogged fuel pickup in the tank. I've seen the socks get pretty clogged where they will collapse intermittently.
Have you used a timing light on the balancer to see if the ignition advance is moving freely as you rev it up and down, both mechanical and vacuum, not sticking? Might pull the cap off the dizzy and draw on vacuum hose to see if the vacuum advance moves smoothly.FWIW
ssmonty
Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM

thanks ssmonty, i'll be inspecting the fuel tank in a couple days when i get around to working on it again, kinda fed up with it so i'm taking a little break and its electronically advanced timing but yes it advances correctly, or i assume its correct, no way to be sure without tapping into the computer
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
GearHead-EFI.com

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions Chevytruckguy...I don't have any money to go out and buy a scanner or a manual, i have the basic Chilton manual which is pretty much useless in this situation. I put a motor in it last week so the 3 ground straps that go to the motor are clean as well as the body ground, i'm sure of that much. I'm going to checkout the fuel pump ground and the fuel pump itself and if that doesn't help I'm either gonna sell the truck or send it to the scrapyard, which will likely bring me more than I can sell it for.
here's the free procedure for checking trouble codes stored with a paperclip. Then at bottom of page can download free GM Service manaul in pdf with diagnostics for all codes. You'll need the one for TBI, there is also TPI and V6 available.
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...-CEL-SES-Light

Hope that helps you get going.

You can usually borrow or rent a fuel pressure gauge from parts stores nowadays before you pull tank and don't even know if you have a fuel pressure issue. On your truck it will go in by the fuel filter in middle of truck. No shrader valves on these TBI engines like MPFI...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Thank you EagleMark I already know hot to pull trouble codes with a paperclip or short piece of wire...but I have no trouble codes to read, the check engine light has been on once since this started. I don't have money to rent a gauge either so I have to do whats within my means. I have a sneaking suspicion that the fuel pump ground might be the culpret, I recall years back when I put a fuel pump in it that the ground wire had been spliced back together before I got to it and since the tank is empty its not much trouble to drop it. I want to inspect the tank and sock anyways to make sure everything is clean. I'll keep this post informed once I do that. I just haven't felt like messing with it the last couple of days lol
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
I'm working on my 89 gmc sierra its got a throttle body 350...i'm having problems with its idling and acceleration...both issues are not a steady issue, it comes and goes but sometimes it idles real rough and when you put it in gear and give it gas to take off it sputters and acts like it doesn't want to take fuel push the gas down a little further and it clears up and takes off most of the time, every once in a while it will kill the engine. like i said though it doesn't do this all the time. as far as what i've done to it so far, its gotton new plugs, wires, cap, rotor button and fuel filter pretty much all of the sensors and electrical components are new or less than a year old so i'm a little stumped as to what the problem might be. Also as of yet the computer has not given any trouble codes.
Have you checked the EGR to see if it is sticking open sometimes. An EGR valve that is hung open will effect idle quality and low end acceleration.

Chet

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.