Hot Rod Forum banner

8BA flathead oil pan cleanout plate

4K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  powerrodsmike 
#1 ·
I am currently working on a 48 ford C.O.E. with the orig motor. it has a 8BA flathead with the "oil pan cleanout plate" (ford name from the reprint shop manual), on the bottom. It seems that these plates only came on big commercial stuff. I never saw one on a car. It is a plate about 7 inches in diameter directly under the oil pump screen on the bottom of the pan. My question is: How do you get the plate to seal? There is a gasket that is used between the plate and pan. The plate is secured to the pan by 7 studs welded to a ring, ( ford calls that a "reinforcing ring"),that drops down from the engine side of the pan. I took it apart because it was leaking oil at every stud. The plate was gasketed and there had been sealer used in a liberal fashion all around it. Is there a proven way to get this to seal? I am hoping that there are still a few guys who worked on this commercial stuff who have the trick that worked on these things. I was going to try putting a gasket under the reinforcing ring as well as between the plate and pan but I would like any input from someone who has experience with this one. Thank you for reading this, Mike S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.