8V92 Redline? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
350c10

Wiki Edits: 0

8V92 Redline?

I know this isnt really a hot rod engine but Im hoping someone here knows where the governer is supposed to kick in on these engines. Much less the rpm range where excessive wear comes into play. I have driver running these engines at 2175 rpm steadily. I know detroits especially the 2 strokes are rev happy but wheres the point where its too much for these engines?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

I believe you'll find the Powerband on those is 1600 to 2200rpms......
Fuel Economy is at about 1800rpms.....

2400 is about the Max upper limit.......
Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 AM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_sirnio
I know this isnt really a hot rod engine but Im hoping someone here knows where the governer is supposed to kick in on these engines. Much less the rpm range where excessive wear comes into play. I have driver running these engines at 2175 rpm steadily. I know detroits especially the 2 strokes are rev happy but wheres the point where its too much for these engines?
holy crap 2175!
maybe i was goofy but i only ran the one i had in an old ford tractor to 1850.
and than an old timer told me that was on the edge. 2100 to for shift point in low gears. is this a big 500hp motor.
the new cummins i was running would run at 2750 making 350 hp. in a streight truck of 26k gvw.
what are you guys doing about the low sulfer fuels? the reason i got rid of my dismel....two lift pump later and o rings leaking...
Old 02-27-2007, 08:36 AM
350c10

Low sulfer? Yeah right the engine is running avionics grade deisel (JP8). I know its bad for it but we can only run what we got. The driver I am conerened about has already blown the oil and compression rings on a brand new 8v92. Its a (80,000 dollar engine). Im concerned about having to replace another one. Itll make 2 in 6 monthes. The actual enging model is 8V92TA. Its alot of money and alot of work to install this equipment into a M1075 PLS() Paletized Loading System.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

2100 rpm is the rated maximum speed on these engines,and if the governor is set correctly don't worry about it they will go several hundred thousand miles at this rating.A bigger problem is probably the oil type assuming since it a palletized load system you are in the army, correct? 15/40 does not work well in these engines make sure you are using straight grade 30 or 40 wt.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

8V92 redline

Call your Detroit dealer for the info; if you're using electronic controls (DDEC), order a DDR and it'll tell you everything. There's also a laptop version available now. I'm not sure but you might be able to set the max engine speed wherever you want. If nothing else you can have an ECU remapped to the specs you like, generally expensive but less than 80K for a new engine, and imagine the grumbling when your driver can't drive it over 1500 rpm.
The Coast Guard uses 6V92TA in our 47' Motor Life Boats with the DDEC III system. We get 435hp in the 2100 to 2200 rpm range. We generally cruise around 1850-1950, mostly to conserve the engine life and keep the engine room temp down.
If you're worried about running the aviation fuel through your injectors you can ask Detroit about mixing some 30wt oil with your fuel. We used to do that on the cutters when running JP5 through the diesels in Alaska. While JP5 does burn good and keep the cylinders clean, it doesn't have the lubrication properties of diesel and your injectors can seize up. They may also have retrofit injectors that work with JP8.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
350c10

So these engines will do fine at 2175 rpm running JP8 at an altitude of 8000 feet?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:02 AM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

wow boy did you leave out some details....
lol
jp8 at 8000 feet ... i will leave this to some one else who knows i was going on a tractor i used about 6 years ago.....and what pro.. driver told me.
thanks
kurt
Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

re: 8V92 Redline?

If you're using the DDEC system it shouldn't be a problem, it compensates for altitude just like a newer vehicle. You still might want to contact Detroit about running at that altitude to see if they have any concerns or pointers. At that altitude they may recommend a larger turbo, any higher up and you could probably call NASA for assistance.
Here's a link for their service locator: http://www.detroitdiesel.com/Service_Locator/
Hopefully they can help.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
350c10

Yeah base mountains for the himalaya's (hundu kush range), and yes this truck is running the ddec 3 ecm.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

If you want I can relay your info to my local dealer and see if he can find out anything, maybe he can get the email address for a goverment sales tech rep. Running at that altitude you might need your ECM's remapped.
When you said 8000ft, I figured you were somewhere around Mt Everest.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
350c10

We dont have a ddr and itd take monthes to get one. Im just trying to figure out wether I should slap the driver around for abusing our epuipment. Its not easy to get parts.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

While they are operating the equipment inside of parameters, slapping the drivers around can still be very stress relieving.
I did contact my local dealer. He says in your situation the high speed/high load conditions are better to keep the exhaust temps up. Excessive idling is the best way to kill a diesel.
If you're wet stacking (over fueling) at your location, you can down size your injectors. He also said that running the JP fuels shouldn't be a problem. Apparently alot of the airport equipment uses JP fuels.
I also asked about the DDR. It's running about $1500, the newest laptop version is $1800 without the cables (or computer).
Good luck and watch that first step, you'd probably bounce all the way to China. (Which by the way seems to be your closest Detroit dealer)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.