Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 9" in a '65 Falcon, new shift rod for a top loader
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Deuce is correct. 57-72 Fords are mostly 57 1/2 inch from wheel to wheel and I have used them in the 65 Falcons. Most are 3" housing diameter, so get the lower brackets also.

The last 65 Falcon I did was 3 years ago. Fuelie 5.0, T-5, nitrous.

The 66-80 eight inch is the same dimensions and we run them with 300 hp at the tires with no ill effects ....... but no slicks allowed. Maverick 8 inch are rumored to be 56 inches wide, but I have measured 2 at 57 1/2. Measure your old one and check your tire clearances.

The 8 and light duty 9 have the same axles at that same width.
While you are there, I suggest you restack your leaf springs to mopar super stock spring design by flipping the secondary leaves front to rear. A second main leaf works wonders. For traction and no wheel hop.

I suggest you grab the 74-80 Granada/Maverick disc brake/spindles as a bolt on deal. Get the master cylinder and brass combination valve at the same time, they work. Larger rear brakes (11) might need some brass valve tweaking.

For SBF installation, Doug's Headers makes a great Tri-y that fits perfectly and makes excellent power while maintaining ground clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super stock springs1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	19027  

Last edited by xntrik; 03-03-2007 at 03:25 PM.