Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 9" ford 5x5.5 drums to 5x4.5 discs?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31fordcoupe View Post
Hello gents. I have a 9" Ford that I am going to have narrowed down and I want to switch from drum to disc brakes. I am going to switch out the stock axles for aftermarket axles so I can get to my desired pattern of 4.5 x 5.

I am trying to save money where I can on this project so I am trying to find out what disc brake set ups are out there on certain years and models of Ford vehicles, that I can rob from a junk yard (calipers, brackets, brake lines and possibly even rotors) to switch out the drum brakes for discs. Any suggestions on which vehicles might be candidates for this swap? If you need more information on the rear end let me know I will get it and post it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brent
One option:

A quick search got me Lincoln Mk VII Rear Disc Conversion Adapter Brackets. They use the Lincoln factory discs on the 9" rear end, all bolt on. IIRC the Lincoln disc brakes include a parking brake.

A kit for using the GM calipers (w/o parking brake) is Ford 9 Inch Bolt-On Rear Disc Brake Kit - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop.

Here is a list of threads here on Hotrodders that may help.

Good luck.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-23-2012 at 06:48 AM.