9"ford rear noise - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

9"ford rear noise

I have a Ford 9" in my Camaro which seems to be getting noisier and worse on deceleration. It clicks and jumps around on tight turns which might be because it is a locker. I have never had it apart and it came with the car. The only thing I know about it is it is 31 spline axles the pumpkin is large and has aluminum on the pumpkin casing. The noise seems like someone place cast iron baseball cards in my Cragar spokes. We at least that is the best I can describe it. The clicking on turns seems to be worse than usual also. I did a lot of searches with the clicking being normal on turns for the locker. I can hear the clicking sound when up on jack stands and just turning the wheels in neutral. Any thoughts or where to look before ripping the pumpkin out would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

Adding some more info I just had it on jackstands turning one tire I can feel it click in when both tires are turning there is no clicking sound when I turn one backwards for a sec it disengages and the I hear the clicking when only wheel turns, It almost sounds like that clicking stays when driving. Also not sure how much slack or play I am supposed to have but when I turn the driveshaft clockwise then counterclockwise I would guess it moves 1/8 of a turn, does this sound normal. I am thinking maybe the grease needs changing probably sounds ignorant but the grease seems thin and black.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Lockers are noisy and not very street friendly, but they rarely break. They also wont make any noise when going straight down the road, ie the tires have to be going a different speeds for the ratchet to activate.
A noise while going straight that changes when throttle is opened or closed is usually a bearing issue and can be either pinion or carrier bearings.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:18 PM

To add to this post, I changed the rear end grease the noise is still there. I noticed the grease comes out the axle ends and I was wondering, when the axles bearings were changed they did not use sealed bearing so I later added seals(because I was told this would stop the leaking). I was also told I could not get them anymore but I did find them recently. Well back to what I was wondering, could the rear end grease getting on the bearings washed out the packing grease could that cause them (the bearings) to fail prematurely? Any help would be appreciated. And if Imsport is right how do I tell if it is pinion or carrier noise?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.