9" ford rearend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2002, 07:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 9" ford rearend

I am building a 37 Ford Coupe. I have re-shaped the rear inner wheel houses (vertical) from ouside of frame rail. I have a 9" Ford rear end housing 53" long. Does anyone know if this is the proper length? I would like to use rear disc brakes. Also approx. what are the widest wheels I can fit inside the stock rear fenders, and any suggestions on the offset.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2002, 05:55 AM

This may seem a little early in the project, but i would either buy the rims and tires you would like to use, or find information on the setup you wish to run. Maybe you could pick up a cheap set at a swap meet or borrow from a friend. Then set them under the car where you would like to see them. Then take your measurement from between the rims and subtract the two rotor or drum mounting surface thickness, this will be the proper length for you. If buying the wheels and tires is totally out of the question this early in the project , you can get by with mounting card board or even some flat bar to the rear end (both sides) and centering the rear under your ride. this is where you will want to know what wheel offset and brake setup you plan on running, just measure from the inside of the flatbar to the inside wheelhouse do the math and there you go.
P.S. I like actually placing the wheels AND tires under the rear ,this will give you the best results,cause you will actually see if they will rub and how much room you have to play with!
Hope this helps! :-)
Old 02-05-2002, 11:42 AM

The rodder from Canada who commented is exact right---this is the first step and is imperative if proper fit of tires & wheels is to be accomplished. A word about measuring the rear end-- the measurement you gave sounds like you are measurring the rear end between the brake
backing plates. Always measure to the outside of the drum or disc rotors(the widest point)especially on 9" Fords---some 9 inchers use 1 3/4",2" or 21/2" brakes and the axle flange to bearing spacing veries as much as 1/2".
"Experrience is a hard teacher--it gives the test first and the lesson second"
Old 02-05-2002, 03:40 PM

Hey, so here's what I recall. First and most important decide where you are measuring from. I generally measure to the backing pate on drum brake rears. Early fords (48 and earlier) will work with, as I recall 53 inch widths. Many later model 9 inches and 8.8's are 56, 57, 59, and 61 inches. Way too wide. Keep it narrow, that's the key. I think you can acually go as narrow as 48 if you can find it.

good luck
Old 02-05-2002, 04:14 PM

Hey toolman: I agree that the diameter and height is important to getting the stance of the car right in the early stages of the build, but I dissagree that you need to commit to the rear end components yet or even the tire width. If you are not going to tub the rear end, you can fairly easiley determine which wheels and tires will fit in the available space by measuring the fender to frame or fender to inner wheel well liner at critical points. You will want to have at least 1/2" clearance at max suspension travel between the bulge of the tire and the nearest obstruction. The width of the tread is the measurement of the tire size in millimeters so divide by 24.5 and that is the width in inches. Add the bulge which is usually 1" or less per side and you have the total width of tire and wheel. Remember that the same tire on a wider wheel will have less bulge. Now go to some wheel manufacturers and see what offsetts and spacers are available. More range is available on wider wheels and come in 3.5, 4.5 or 4.5 offset with spacers being up to 1/2". Depending upon the amount of dish you want, you can find a range of offsets and spacers that you would accept as a reasonable appearance. Then you can reverse engineer the minimum and maximum axle widths that are acceptable to you and then you start looking for rear ends that would fit. The next point is that you can make them fit. You can narrow or buy narrowed rear ends. Buy welding flanges out of the Jeggs catalog to narrow the rear end and go to Moser Engineering or Currie or ? others to buy axles to fit. These will cost you about $275 per pair in any width. Consider how strong you want it to be. 9" Fords are getting hard to find but GM 8.875" are plentiful and cheap and will handle a lot of torque. Ok guys, beat me up!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.