Hot Rod Forum banner

9" Ford solid pinion gear spacer?

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
I have 2 of these spacers on hand.

One is Ratech brand... other 3 piece design unit, I dont know the brand.

Good , bad? Use the crush sleeve?

Drag race car. 4.86 gear, spool

Both spacers. 3 piece design on top. Ratech 2 piece design on the bottom. Sleeve with shims

3 piece design, hard parts & shims. Center part flipped over for viewing ... This one has a recess to recieve the shims on one side. Other side has a raised design.

See less See more
#2 ·
Which pinion housing do you have? If you have the Daytona then they use a solid spacer. You can use a crush spacer from a 8.8 with the Daytona, but for a drag car the solid one is probably better. If you have a standard pinion housing then you will probably need to use the standard crush spacer. If your solid spacer is for the Daytona then it won't work in the standard pinion housing.

#5 ·
Many times when using a solid spacer I would get into a situation where .002 was too much shim and .001 wasn't enough to get the correct bearing preload. In a case like this you can put sand paper on a flat surface and sand the spacer about .0005 to get the bearing preload where it needs to be. Just be very careful to take the same amount off of the spacer all over the surface that you are sanding. You do not want it to be thicker in one area.

#8 ·
thanks... I found a small sheet with the ratech spacer, says: torque to 125 lb feet.

I know you are not a fan of ratech parts as I recall. One of the reasons I bought the Yukon chunk, bearing support, parts kits last year.

The gears are Ecell brand as I recall. Bought off eBay. Will they be quiet? LOL

I dont move forward too fast, but I keep moving. If I stand still too long, someone may try to bury me. :thumbup:

#9 ·
I don't like Ratech kits, but they do make some good parts. Some of the parts that Ratech makes are not available from anyone else. They Ratech kits have some junk parts in them.

Many of the solid spacers have instructions with them that say to torque to 125, but you can go much higher than this if you want to. I think Ford recommended 200 foot pounds for their solid spacer.

The Excel gears are a cheap version of the Richmond gear. They might be quiet, but don't count on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.