Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 9 inch ford G body rear axle questions, advantages STD spring, coil over
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

9 inch ford G body rear axle questions, advantages STD spring, coil over

Hey guys I have a dilemma on my hands. First is what to do about the housing?? I am really attracted to this unit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-For...Q5fAccessories

The issue is I already have about 8 bare housings in my garage, that I have already cut all of the mounts off of. So all i'd hafta do is cut the (3" slide in tubes) off @ the weld and narrow it to the stock width of 52.5" EXACTLY for the outside edge of one flange to the other flange OS edge, NOT WHEEL TO WHEEL, as some guys do. That is not the proper way the measure because there is WAAAYYY to much room for error... That is what was told to me by the company that builts the units from the link i posted above.
Anyway, getting one to 52.5" is no problem, I can do that on my own. Then I could just purchase this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-For...Q5fAccessories
and weld it on. The problem is the kit doesn't have any spring pearches, I do however have a housing that I could steal the pearches off of that came out of a 79' T-Bird, problem is I'm not sure if I want STD springs or coil over's.

On a basic street car with the occasional 1/4 mile test n tune pass and mabey a few real races here and there, Is a coil over system even necessary?? Would STD spring set up do just fine?? Are there any major advantages to one or the other?? Please keep cost in mind, Because I want to make this conversion with as little money as possible, I want is to be good and right, but not cost me any body parts if you know what i mean. which I do think is completly feasable...

My second major issue is the axles... I have a plethora of HD 31 spline thick axles from bronco's and other 4x4's but NONE of them are the length i need. I'd rather not pay 3-400 for a set of axlesif I can get then cut down and re splined for a reasonable price!!!! OOOORRRRRR, is there ANY vehicle I could look for that may have the length i need which 26 1/4" on the short side and 29 5/8" on the long side.

Do any of you know of any places that re-spline axles and cut them down?? I'd like to find a few different ones so I can shop around for the best price along with the best reputation. ANY help with either of these issues will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time, Danny