9 inch ford home made disc brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

9 inch ford home made disc brakes

This setup is on my coupe have used it for over 15,000 miles. This is on a 1957 Ford Rearend. Have this in my project journal thought I'd show it hear if any questions or comments. Total cost was around $100.

A friend had some brake brackets for 3 inch tube you can find them any where Speedway has them. I used Lincoln Verseai rotors,found at a swap meet, but I did find out 90 jeep rear waggoner rotors 3 inch tall,11 inch dia, 5 - 4 1/2 bolt pattern Car Quest p/n 5115 would also work. You might have to knotch brackets for small flange on calipers, also possibly open up opening more that goes onto axle tube to be sure brake pads are not sticking up above rotors. I used mid seventies gm front calipers I believe for a 76 impala. Put calipers together bolt to brackets and place over rotors. Put some lug nuts on studs to be sure rotors are on tight,also you might have to do some minor machining on inside of rotors to be sure rotors are flat against the axle. Apply some air pressure to caliper to firmly snug them to rotors and align up, tack in place release air pressure look everything over and rotate be sure everything turns ok and looks straight. I made some gussets and added them too. Be sure and put retainer bolts through axles flange in case can't get bolts in after welding,also placed some washers between axle flange and retainer to makeup space for backing plate. You also might have to put in longer wheels studs. Also used a brake fitting from Parts America or Advance Auto parts p/n 327853 7/16-20 to 3/16 hard line, be sure and use a copper washer I also used small amount of silicone pipe sealant. One thing to be aware of is the bleader vent for calipers be sure they are pointing up. I'm using manual brakes, had to use a small bore m/c to get enough pressure to stop good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09122.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	6262   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09132.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	6263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09127.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	6264  

Advertisement

Last edited by zonk; 08-07-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 06:07 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Zonk,

Great back yard ingenuity. And good pics. I think this ought to go in the Knowledge Base. After seeing how you did it, I'm seriously thinking about doing it to the 9" on my rat roadster over this next winter. Thanks.

Dewey
Old 08-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Thanks, I know there are aftermarket rear disc kits you can buy,had a friend that work at a car parts store did some research on rotors thought would work and gave it a try, something else I should mention, if you want parking brakes, I believe you could use rear calipers off of a 70's vintage cadaliac that had rear disc brakes, the principle should still be the same.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I did the same on my FAB-9 housing and did use the -'79-'84 Seville, El Dorado and Toronado calipers. There is someone who makes the adapters for the e-brake to existing cable hookup.

DO ensure the bleeders are on top as ZONK says, I didn't and now it requires moving the calipers to the bottom side of the rotor to bleed them!

Also, keep in mind that around '85 GM began using the quick takeup calipers front and rear which moved the pads back about 1/4" on release. They require the quick takeup MC for the initial fluid shot to close them up before they apply. You will never have enough pedal to use these calipers without the proper MC. I learned that trying to use '94 AstroVan calipers on the front of my Nova, they bolted right on the disc spindles but made me crazy trying to bleed thinking that was the problem. I'd bleed until I had pedal but as soon as I started the motor they went to the floor (boosted system).
Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Here's a photo of the Caddy calipers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4147Rear_Disc.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	12554  
Old 06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I was using that same setup on a non-floated ford 9" about five years ago. On lap 15 of 20. The car started shaking but I didn't wanna drop out because we were near the front looking for a good finish. The car was vibrating so bad i had my head against the seat head rest trying to keep my eyeballs inside my head.

The bracket broke and the caliper was held inside the wheel by centrifugal force. A 9 pound imbalance at 120 MPH was not fun. My whole body felt like it was jelly after that one.

BE sure to weld em on good.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 PM
See project in Photo Album

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
I was using that same setup on a non-floated ford 9" about five years ago. On lap 15 of 20. The car started shaking ....
BE sure to weld em on good.
Nothing like racing to test your parts and fab skills!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.