Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   9 inch Ford rear axle seal (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/9-inch-ford-rear-axle-seal-148542.html)

kleen56 11-20-2008 12:50 PM

9 inch Ford rear axle seal
 
Does anyone have a part number for a Ford 9 inch rear axle seal? The one I need is for the large early bearing type rearend and I need the seal that goes into the housing. Where is the good place to purchase them? Carquest gave a part # of 6808N with a cost of $28 each? OUCH! It's been 20 years or so since I purchased them and any help would be appreciated.
Ed

prostreet6t9 11-20-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleen56
Does anyone have a part number for a Ford 9 inch rear axle seal? The one I need is for the large early bearing type rearend and I need the seal that goes into the housing. Where is the good place to purchase them? Carquest gave a part # of 6808N with a cost of $28 each? OUCH! It's been 20 years or so since I purchased them and any help would be appreciated.
Ed

The 6808N is for a pinion seal for a dana 60,See if carquest has a 51098 seal and see if it's the same.

kleen56 11-20-2008 03:15 PM

Correct! I don't need a pinion seal. I need the axle seal at the ends of the differential tubes. Thanks for the info. I thought something wasn't right with the quote. He also mention the seals had to be ordered. I thought it would be a common part and be in stock. Thanks.

SSedan64 11-20-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleen56
Correct! I don't need a pinion seal. I need the axle seal at the ends of the differential tubes. Thanks for the info. I thought something wasn't right with the quote. He also mention the seals had to be ordered. I thought it would be a common part and be in stock. Thanks.

Probably has to order because you have the large 3.15 bearing ends. I don't think they're as common as the small ones. I saw some prices for the sealed bearings $28 ea. for small, large bearing & seal $37 @ JustDifferentials
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...Path=25_55_337

prostreet6t9 11-20-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSedan64
Probably has to order because you have the large 3.15 bearing ends. I don't think they're as common as the small ones. I saw some prices for the sealed bearings $28 ea. for small, large bearing & seal $37 @ JustDifferentials
http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...Path=25_55_337

If his seal is pressed into the housing all by it's self the set 20 is not correct, The set20 uses the 3195 seal and the seal goes on before you press the brg on the axle.

SSedan64 11-20-2008 04:22 PM

Man, Ford makes too many configurations. Nothing interchanges like GM parts do. LOL! I've never worked on a 9", but wish I had one. :D

prostreet6t9 11-20-2008 04:33 PM

If his brg is the BCA88128RB,The alternate number is 514003 BCA,That brg assy will normally use the 51098 seal,common price for that seal is about $7.00.

One other note! The lock ring's in the 514003 axle brg and some of the 88128"s have been a little to thick, So after you tap you seal into the housing and slide the axle in place the lock ring hit's the seal. If you change the axle brg compare the O/A height of the brg and retainer.

prostreet6t9 11-20-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSedan64
Man, Ford makes too many configurations. Nothing interchanges like GM parts do. LOL! I've never worked on a 9", but wish I had one. :D

I hear ya there! Sometimes the early stuff I have to figure out what brg it has so I can figure out what seal it uses. in the housing.

kleen56 11-20-2008 07:28 PM

Well, I may be jumping the gun here, but I ordered the 51098 seals. I know my axle bearings are the sealed type bearing and the 3.15 diameter. The seals are not on the bearing but inside on the axle tubes. I purchased them from autorock.com on the internet for $2.87 a piece. They get you on the shipping which was $7.00. I bought two seals for $13.38 which includes shipping. Auto parts quoted me $7.99 each but had to order and that would take 2 days. Hope it works. I'll let you know. A big thank you to prostreet for the great info and help.
Ed


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.