9" Jig - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2003, 07:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

9" Jig

Hey folks,
New to the board. What a phenominal resource!

Anyone have plans/pictures for a jig to narrow my 9"?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 07:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

No plans, but it is real simple. You just need to have a diff. carrier and a set of bearing blanks. You can have the bearing blanks made at your local machine shop.

First find a 1.5 inch straight solid piece of bar stock. Then have a set of bearing blanks made to replace the carrier and axle tube bearings. The blanks should be made so they fit tightly in the housing and so that you can slide the 1.5 inch bar through the blanks when installed in the housing. I would suggest around .003-.005 clearance so it slides nicely.

What you do is cut the housing to the desire demensions and then insert the carrier with the blanks installed. Insert the bar stock in the housing through the blanks. Now insert the axle bearing blanks in the axle tubes and slide them on the bar. Clock them to the desired position and weld.

It is important to note that you need to do any bracing before welding the tube ends on since bracing will draw the tube back and cause bearing misalignment.

Chris
Old 08-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Even taking care to center stuff and avoid warping the axle, there is inevitable warping. I take my finished axle housings to a machine shop and have them straightened.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
Even taking care to center stuff and avoid warping the axle, there is inevitable warping. I take my finished axle housings to a machine shop and have them straightened.

If you weld the tube ends in last, it should still run true even if the tubes are a bit warped.

Chris
Old 08-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

True, probably not much distortion but I like to be safe. Have lunched a couple of axle bearings and it is sobering to take the axle out as see nothing but 3 dry balls holding everything together!!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Yeah, if the bearings are out of alignment you are asking for trouble for sure. I figure as long as there is no binding and it all slides together nicely(this assuming seal ball bearings on the 9 inch) it will be good to go. If the axles dont slide in smooth, better get it checked out.

chris
Old 08-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have a jig for finding the center of the pinion so you can shorten evenly on both sides. It has alignment holes for all axles made by various manufacturers, very handy. I could scan the jig at 100% if you like? I copied it off an original jig and never got around to drilling the holes yet.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I have a jig for finding the center of the pinion so you can shorten evenly on both sides. It has alignment holes for all axles made by various manufacturers, very handy. I could scan the jig at 100% if you like? I copied it off an original jig and never got around to drilling the holes yet.
I don't understand what your jig does. Can't you shorten both sides equally by cutting off equal amounts of tub? That's how I do it.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here's some pics Willy, sorry for the poor quality it's just a webcam.

The jig itself is meant to be a quick way to find the pinion centerline so you don't need the pumpkin installed, the layed out slot in the middle photo is 1/4" wide and is an ideal place to put a tape measure tang so you can measure each side identically. The layed out circles are holes so that it fits 8" and 9" Fords, 8 3/4" Mopars, 12 bolt Chevy's, 9 3/4" Dana's and of course the Olds axle. I've never needed the tool since, that's why I never machined it out. I installed a 9" axle and four link setup with wheelie bars for a guy who drag raced the car (Vega with BBC and tunnel ram setup). I grabbed a chunk of 1/4" plate and used my ***** punches to lay it out so I would have a copy, each hole is sized to fit each pumpkin mounting stud exactly.

The tool is very handy and is a great way to mock up the bars and links under a drag car so that they are all perfectly spaced. One day when I need to shorten another axle I will machine it out. I think this tool either came with the wheelie bar package or he might have purchased it separately from a company like Moroso.

Last edited by 4 Jaw Chuck; 08-29-2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
I don't understand what your jig does. Can't you shorten both sides equally by cutting off equal amounts of tub? That's how I do it.

Ford 9s pinions are not on center. I believe it is 1.75 inch off. I used an aluminum plate fit over the housing studs and had a slot where the pinion center was. This way you could measure from there to get a centered pinion. This is not always an issue. Just depends on the crank center line on the car.

Chris
Old 08-30-2003, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I needed.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.