Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 90 Chevy Truck Brake Pedal sinks after stop.
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hard to find ABS

I had to bleed my 1991 S10 Blazer brakes with 4WAL ABS brakes (EBC-4) and I tried to find a ABS 4WAL EBC-4 modulator assembly. No one had one for my S10 Blazer except NAPA and they only had one at a warehouse in Ohio and it cost $800 + my old unit. I checked with Cardone through Autozone and the Cardone represenative told me thay could rebuild my old unit for the same price. The parts suppiers who rebuild 4WAL EBC-4 ABS modulators don't have any cores to rebuild. Tyhat is because when an owner of a 1988-1991 S-10 Blazer has a ABS modulator that is bad, they usually just junk the whole vehicle rather that pay $800 + labor for a rebuilt ABS modulator or they will removed the ABS unit and convert the S10 Blazer to a conventional braking system.

I chose not to install a expensive rebuilt ABS unit so my associate foot bled the brakes in the conventional manner. It took about 6 hours but we finally got good brakes. Apparently using two of those OTC accumlator valve depressors along with a lot of patience got it done. It would have been easier with a pressure bleeder but most car owners would not buy a pressure bleeder that they would not use but once. Most people don't keep a car more than five years.

If you own a S10 Blazer or any vehicle with EBC-4 4WAL ABS brakes, it is important that you keep clean brake fluid in the system and change regularily because the ABS modulator is sensitive to dirt and foreign particles.

Last edited by MouseFink; 07-20-2011 at 08:37 AM.