91 c1500 5.7 timing problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

91 c1500 5.7 timing problems

searched most threads, still can't determine how to seat distributor completely. I'm at TDC with no alignement marks on distr. shaft.. reason I pulled, had missfire, no acceleration. and I've installed new tank, filters and TBI. still have same problems. detected no vacuum leaks spraying around TBI, no CEL on. removed distr. cap and rotor is pointing straight ahead down center of intake, instead of pointing toward no. 1 cylinder. do I ccw oil pump shaft, so rotor, when seated is pointed toward cyl #1? thanks, ya'll are the best!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM

If you pulled the distributor and did not crank the engine and attempted to put it back in another position and it is not seating usually means the oil pump slot is not ling up. If there was no problem with the dixtributor position to begin with and you want to put it back where it was it whould drp in unless you turned the motor by hand or starter. If you have it lined up where you now want it you can turn the motor by hand until the distributor falls in place on the oil pump. Not sure if this helps but good luck.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM

thanks bro. for the response. I've decided that it was put in wrong prior to me owning. since its run poorly since i bought it. I set TDC and removed distr. to retime. just noticed on some other threads they said to point rotor to the 6 or 8 mark on housing. mine has neither. so i was gonna time it like I done my 4.3 once. Get TDC and seat distr. in with rotor pointing toward cyl. 1. just really needed a little reassuring. thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:

Are you disconnecting the timing wire before setting the timing? The connector needs to be disconnected, then set the timing to "0", then reconnect the timing wire.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM

yessir, got it timed to 0. with wire unplugged. feel good about that, still has miss. new tank, pump, sending unit, filter, and new tbi with new injectors. recently installed wires plugs, cap, and rotor. startin to think distibutor itself is bad. got me stumped. rechecked all plug wires and plugs. no CEL on.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamasho View Post
yessir, got it timed to 0. with wire unplugged. feel good about that, still has miss. new tank, pump, sending unit, filter, and new tbi with new injectors. recently installed wires plugs, cap, and rotor. startin to think distibutor itself is bad. got me stumped. rechecked all plug wires and plugs. no CEL on.
Have you put a vacuum gauge on it or checked the compression? You could have a broken valve spring, a burnt valve or a bad cam lobe.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

The pickup coil in the distributor is a common problem with these. They are cheap, so you may want to consider replacing it anyway.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 AM

Cobalt guess that'll be next step. Pretuner is that the black bolt-on inside of cap? just changed it, too.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Also, the magnet on the reluctor in the dizzy was known to crack and cause all kinds of headaches, from random misfires, stalls, low power, no starts, ect. I've seen this several times.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamasho View Post
Cobalt guess that'll be next step. Pretuner is that the black bolt-on inside of cap? just changed it, too.
The small black unit held on w/2 screws is the module. That may have been what he was talking about; the pick up coil (below) is the part that is closest to the rotor wheel. The leads from one end of the module go to the p-u coil. Sometimes the two small wires will become brittle from heat and fumes and will break from the movement they get every time the vacuum advance can changes the timing (the round hole in the bracket at 11 o'clock is where the vacuum advance arm fits).

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

This was not a big issue in 91, as the dizzy does not use vacuum advance.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Did you change the plugs and wires? I would assume so but you didn't mention it.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:44 PM

kinda threw me a min. Cobalt on that vacuum advance, knew it didn't have that, lol. but I'm leaning toward that whole dizzy being bad. Has had a slight miss for two years I owned, progressively got worse. Now it almost stalls out if i get on it. and have changed plugs and wires, and rechecked individually. Wish fatherinlaw was still around, had big salvage yard here in AL. had plenty of extra parts to try when he was around,, never been puzzled this bad before, something minor just can't put my hands on it yet. Thanks everyone again, I luv this site!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

The injectors are also fired from the pickup coil. Take a look at the spray with a timing light and the engine running. Should be smooth on each injector.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM

I think that's my problem, both injectors are pulsating with the firing. Gonna yank the dizzy out. Hard to believe bad compression or springs. Had one valve cover off, motor is clean as a pen, don't burn oil or nothing. Clean lil truck inside and out. thanks everyone, take me couple days to get back, I'll let ya'll know how it goes!!

Tags
5.7 distributor, timing

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.