Hot Rod Forum banner

91 Camaro RS dies after coldair cone

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  91camaro91 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.I have a 91 Camaro RS 3.1 v6. it ran well untill i unhooked the air intake system and hooked up a cold air cone right off the pipe off the throttle body. it ran like craaaaap. litarly like it was a 2cyl. so i took it off and put the long black plastic pipe back on and hooked it back up to the stock airbox. and still its running like its on only 2 cyl. the motor also has a little tick now that i hadnt noticed before..might have been there and i just didnt notice. all hoses are hooked back up and everything is how it was before the cold air cone...im lost...d :confused:

#2 ·
update

just so yall i didnt unplug anything no hoses or wires. on the stock intake from the thortle body a black plastic tube comes off to the air filter canister next to the fender there is some kind of sensor on the canister. all i did was unattach the plack hardplastic tube and plud the cold air cone onto it..

#3 ·
i may have hydrolocked some pistons if that possible? i sparyed osme dw40 on the coldair to get it to fit better..could that have been sucked into the piston and messed something up? fouled plugs maby? it have ran it for a while and drove it a little after i hooked the stock equpiment back up...not sure here. :confused:

#4 ·
WD-40 wouldn't be a problem.
Does the 'Check Engine' light come on?
Did you perhaps do something to the MAF sensor and now it's not reading properly?
Did you spray the WD-40 on the part before you put it on the car or did you spray it down the tube when it was on (back to the MAF question).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Elm

#6 ·
On my own vehicles when I have an engine or trans problem the first thing I do is unplug and rehook every electrical connector that I can get do. If I have electrical cleaner and dielectric grease handy I use it. Corrosion and dirt are major problems on older computer controlled vehicles. You probably jostled a connector and now it's not connecting well.

#7 ·
What you may have done with the MAF when you sprayed the WD40 is put a film of oil(silicone, or ??)on those tiny wires. That film will also collect dirt. Between that film and possible dirt it just wont give the computer a correct feedback signal. You may also have damaged that set of fine wires if you touched them.

First I would make sure those wires are still in one piece, then I would invest in a can of MAF cleaner and try to get them clean. (Of course, this is AFTER you make sure everything is connected right)

#8 ·
success

so i pulled the plugs on a whim and noticed that 4/6 were oil fouled...i swaped them all out and what ever problem i had before was solved and it runs fine now. im seeing alot of blue smoke (burning oil) now though...im praying i didnt fry the rings or somthing. still hard to start but once its run for a min i can **** it down and it will fire right back up. seems like its..idk the word...loping? while idleing though like a bum bum bum bum sound....imma get a jug of ring fixed/ engine repair and hope for the best. thanks for the advice..any more would be apprecated :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.