Hot Rod Forum banner

91 corvette issue

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
I'm working on a family friend's vette and he's been having some battery draining issues which began shortly after he had his stereo professionally installed. He has a 91 vette. I don't know much about vettes but I do know intermediate car electronics.
so here's the problem:
we bought and new battery and installed it today leaving the stereo and after market alarm disconnected. I tried starting the car - nothing, no door chimes, no lights on dash, not even a spark when attaching the negative terminal. Went under the dash to see if there was a short, blown fuse, anything out of the ordinary. when I started testing wires for voltage. I used what looked like a piece of the chassis and where the aftermarket alarm was grounded only to find that the chassis has a full 12.73 volt charge. But the thing that through me for a loop is that there is a 12.73 volt charge in the ignition harness constant as well. Any idea where the chassis could be getting it's charge from? or is the car reversed polarity (not likely but it's the only thing that comes to mind)? Any help/guidance would be fantastic.
Thanks

upon working on it again there was only 6.3 volts to the chassis and still 12.73 at the battery

See less See more
#2 ·
dikbutkis said:
I'm working on a family friend's vette and he's been having some battery draining issues which began shortly after he had his stereo professionally installed. He has a 91 vette. I don't know much about vettes but I do know intermediate car electronics.
so here's the problem:
we bought and new battery and installed it today leaving the stereo and after market alarm disconnected. I tried starting the car - nothing, no door chimes, no lights on dash, not even a spark when attaching the negative terminal. Went under the dash to see if there was a short, blown fuse, anything out of the ordinary. when I started testing wires for voltage. I used what looked like a piece of the chassis and where the aftermarket alarm was grounded only to find that the chassis has a full 12.73 volt charge. But the thing that through me for a loop is that there is a 12.73 volt charge in the ignition harness constant as well. Any idea where the chassis could be getting it's charge from? or is the car reversed polarity (not likely but it's the only thing that comes to mind)? Any help/guidance would be fantastic.
Thanks

upon working on it again there was only 6.3 volts to the chassis and still 12.73 at the battery
Doc here,

Check your PM.

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.