Hot Rod Forum banner

91 mustang gt ingnition

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2-manytoyzs 
#1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a 91 gt with ignition problems, since electrical is my weakness im in trouble. i have a car that drives fine with light excelleration but with any peddle stepping will backfire and pop, also the alternator is not charging which is a part of this electrical problem. it is a car that has been messed with alot. from what the owner says it had an ignition system in it that was removed and has had the problem since then. any help would be great

#4 ·
Fix the charging system first. Alt, reg and/or battery. What is the voltage with engine off, eng idle, and eng running at 1500 rpm? Does it have a draw on the system? Fix that then go to ignition diagnostic.

What do you mean removed, what was it replaced with, original Ford parts or "Standard Plus brand" aftermarket junk, has the pickup coil in the dist been replaced with genuine Ford parts?

Look in the distributor cap and see it there is carbon tracking in the cap. You will see what looks like black cracks in the cap if it is shorting. Replace if its tracked, cleaning wont fix carbon tracking because its in the plastic. A rotor can also cause the same symptom by arcing through the rotor to ground through the shaft. Bad TP sensor or EGR sensor (if it has the 3 wire sensor mounted on the top of the EGR). Check the "sweep" with an ohmmeter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.