91 olds air conditioning recharge, add a fan or compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 02:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

91 olds air conditioning recharge, add a fan or compressor

Hi people....I dont have a lot of experience with a/c, heres the prob........it has 134a in it........which sucks, wish I had r12...anyway when at a stop light it doesnt blow very cold as in the cooling fan only sucks air through half of the radiator..........so I know a cooling fan for the other half would help.....when I am driving around it takes a while at cruising speed to even tell if the ac is working as in temp of air coming out of vents.........I did add one of those high mileage r134a kits to it and it helped a little.........made low side pressure 50 pounds...........how do I tell if I need to replace the compressor or orfice tube filter if there is one?.......gimme all ya got people I wanna get this a/c the best it can cool......also when I do get a fan for the other half of the radiator, what type should I get....one that mounts on the condenser side or try to fit one between the radiator and engine..........I dont know if its advisable to get one and reverse the polarity to make it spin backwards and mount it on the condenser side

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

134 is good stuff in most cases. You really need to know the high side pressure too to properly evaluate the system. Oil flooded evaporators is common in GM vehicles. Plugged orifice tubes is common too. Worn out/leaking compressors are common on higher milage vehicles. Accurate readings inturprited by an experienced tech will help find the problem. Just adding more freon may do more harm than good.

A single factory fan on a properly working system is usually fine.
Might be time to bite the bullet and have it checked out by a pro.

Mark
Old 08-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Ditto on what Mark said...to properly diagnose it, you need at least a good set of gauges so that you have the high pressure side reading as well. Offhand and just guessing, Id say the problem is most likely not having enough air moving across the condenser, as R134a systems usually work best with larger components than R12 systems, so cooling off the condenser is even more critical. Hope this helps
Old 08-13-2006, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

yea I do know why it doesnt cool as well at a stop sign....half the air flow so I will be adding a fan for the other half or the radiator and condenser........also I noticed that there is a big space on one side of the cooling fan that is open that draws air from the engine compartment instead of throught the radiator....gotta seal that off as well as the spaces between the radiator and condensor that need foam or something......not sure what I am gonna use to seal all these air leaks
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 PM

old post but interesting information

its an air problem.
all that GM bashing is nonsense. one could say the same about Fords or any other brands and models... they all have their goods and bads.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I don't want to be rude...I did the same thing when I first started here on the forum and i see you only have 2 posts but, the thread is almost 6 1/2 years old.

Thanks
Ray
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM

yeah and?

im well aware, im offering info to ppl who might need it still, doesnt matter what u personally think... theres others who might need it still. not to be rude .
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Okay, just sayin...I didn't know you knew....sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Refer Mech (12-18-2012)

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.