91' Toyota Celica Issues...Insight Wanted - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

91' Toyota Celica Issues...Insight Wanted

I wasnt sure exactly where to post this and seeing as we are all car guys here figured this would be the best place....(dont flame me for having a toyota ) I've got a 91 toy celica with the 1.6 4AFE engine and 5 speed manual, and 280K on the odometer (with the original clutch I might add) its been a great beater, been totalled three times and keeps commin back for more!

here's the issue, three days ago I was driving and the engine cut out, seeing as it as rolling, the engine refired and went along like nothing happened, it only did that once that day, the next day it was three times, and today it died at idle and didnt want to start back up again, only after a lengthy crank session and pumping the living heck out of the petrol pedal did it come back to life.

my observation is that it only dies the first drive of the day, after it heats up its fine the rest of the day (for now), I was thinking that the fuel pump may be on its way out as I had a late 90's caddy that exibited the same issues and it ended up being the fuel pump, my other thought was the O2 sensor was getting wacky...granted the car has not come home today as of yet to hook a fuel pres guage up and see what the pressure readings are, that said if it is only intermittent the pressure readings should be normal until it hicupps.

only reason I'm asking is I'm not real savy on the computer controlled cars and instead of just changing parts out I would like to find the real issue before I burn through 5 bills changing $200 fuel pumps and $100 O2 sensors...
any insight would be appreciated from those that are not computer controlled vehicle impaired such as myself. (I'm a old school guy in a new school world)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

This is all that I can tell you .I had a 85 fourrunner the electric fuel pump was in the tank and the wire connectors at the top of the tank corroded off and I would have the same problems that you are having work like a top until it would happen and stop for no reason ,and ussually at the worst time.Then it was hard as heck to trace .Or on damp days it would act up, finally they completely corroded off and I was able to pin point the problem. After I fixed that never had another problem with it.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

I'll have to check that out....good part about my fuel tank is you can pull the back seat out, pry the glued body filler cap off and whola you get to the top of the tank! good thing too, I just filled the car up yesterday

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.