92' C1500 project: "Wifes Bane" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

92' C1500 project: "Wifes Bane"

This is my 92' C1500 350tbi, 700r4, bone stock, complete with bald tires,missing door lock and 3 different colors. Got it from my father in-law after he passed away last year.
Im calling this my Wifes Bane, because she was very disgruntled when i chose not to put the money i made on selling our pontoon on to our mortgage. It also didnt help when we were riding around and she mention "well i dont wont it to be any louder than it is now" (theres a big hole in the muffler) and i just kinda chuckled and patted her on the leg with a big smile

So i just picked up the engine hoist from my buddy and started doing a little disassembly of things that werent hot from it running all day, which realy just amounted the the fan and shroud an breather, but hey, ITS ACTUALLY HAPPNING! and im pumped! Ive got $5K to put in and i think its getting close to spent

There are a few things i still need to work out and decide on, but the list is as follows so far:
-Bore block .030 over
-Dart SHP Top End Kit w/180cc aluminum heads
-Lunati BareBones 276/286 Hyd. Roller Cam (.503 In./Exh.)
-Lunati pushrods for the roller cam (7.290)
-Headman longtube headers
-PowerTrax Lockright locker

Questions!
-Could stock rockers be reused? i dont know what size studs are on the stock heads yet, but the dart heads are 3/8ths studs, its just one less thing id have to buy

-CARBS! what are yalls opinions on carbs, im looking at the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS 800cfm w/electric choke

-radiator, is the stock one going to be enough with an electric fan?

-Transmission, heres a big one, theres 180k miles on it and im not sure if its worth it to pay for a built 700r4 for around $1500 or get a rebuild kit and try tackling it myself. Obviously im getting a higher stall torque converter

-im going to need a fuel pressure regulator, one with a return line from what i understand

-Eagle products? someone told me they were crap? they have a 383cid bottom end kit on Jegs for $800~ worth it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

Most stock rockers with 180 thou are ready for the trash. Besides they won't like/work that 500 lift. You will need long slot rockers at least.

If you are starting from scratch. Go for the 383 kit. Cost will be about the same as a 350 rebuild.

700r4 is not a trans to learn on.. They have many issues.

This build won't require a 800 carb.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

its raining outside so i didnt get much done, but if it holds off tomorrow i should be able to have it ready to pull before it gets dark. i did compile a price list.....

$1,461.99 Dart SHP 180cc aluminum head top end kit
$642.92 Lunati BareBones 276/286 .503in./exh. hyd. roller cam w/lifters
$191.99 Comp Cams Magnum Roller Rocker kit 1.6 ratio w/high energy pushrods (7.266")
$822.99 Eagle 383 rotating assembly
$17 rear main seal
$79.95 high volume oil pump
$15.92 freeze plugs
$32.99 oil pan gasket
$23.99 Timing set
$17.99 timing cover seal set
$1,095 rebuilt 700r4 2400stall converter
$316.99 Edelbrock reman 650cfm thunder series
i think i found a more appropriate carb, a reman 650cfm thunder series
$163.95 Headman longtube headers
$FREE Accel HEI distributor
$341.66 PowerTrax lockright locker

$5,144.39 TOTAL! not exactly a budget build...
i still need a fuel pressure regulator and i dont know what to do about the radiator just yet, anything im leaving off that you guys notice? i knows theres probably several things. i will need a thrust button for the cam?
Im REALY hoping i can push 500hp out of it, but im not sure
Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

500 hp in a truck is either a low compression small block with supercharger or 450+ cubic inch big block. Still not a $5000 build nor a task for a 700r4, or any stock or near stock transmission. I'd re-evaluate your build and focus on making something reliable and practical that makes it power early in the lower rpm ranges to help haul that truck around. Is this a weekend vehicle, or daily driver? Street or strip duty?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

yea im still trying to do a lot of research, ive rebult engines before but this is the first time ive ever done a performance build so im find it a little aggravating finding things that work together without breaking the bank. its going to take months with my work schedule to get anything done, so the only thing im in a hurry to do right now is pull the motor so i can give my buddy his hoist back

the 700r4 is a MadDog lvl2, after talking with them he said it is set up to hold 500hp and it has a one year warranty

im looking at not doing the roller cam and get a more aggressive flat tappet for half the price, that alone would bring the whole build back under $5k

its purely a weekend vehicle, i drive 70miles a day for work so i drive a little toyota echo. fuel mileage isnt a concern but id like to go alteast 100miles out of a 20 gallon tank so i can drive it out of town, maybe run it on the 1/8mile when it opens back up and smoke the tires around town a lil bit.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairySheep View Post
This is my 92' C1500 350tbi, 700r4, bone stock, complete with bald tires,missing door lock and 3 different colors. Got it from my father in-law after he passed away last year.
Im calling this my Wifes Bane, because she was very disgruntled when i chose not to put the money i made on selling our pontoon on to our mortgage. It also didnt help when we were riding around and she mention "well i dont wont it to be any louder than it is now" (theres a big hole in the muffler) and i just kinda chuckled and patted her on the leg with a big smile

So i just picked up the engine hoist from my buddy and started doing a little disassembly of things that werent hot from it running all day, which realy just amounted the the fan and shroud an breather, but hey, ITS ACTUALLY HAPPNING! and im pumped! Ive got $5K to put in and i think its getting close to spent

There are a few things i still need to work out and decide on, but the list is as follows so far:
-Bore block .030 over
-Dart SHP Top End Kit w/180cc aluminum heads
-Lunati BareBones 276/286 Hyd. Roller Cam (.503 In./Exh.)
-Lunati pushrods for the roller cam (7.290)
-Headman longtube headers
-PowerTrax Lockright locker

Questions!
-Could stock rockers be reused? i dont know what size studs are on the stock heads yet, but the dart heads are 3/8ths studs, its just one less thing id have to buy

-CARBS! what are yalls opinions on carbs, im looking at the Edelbrock Thunder series AVS 800cfm w/electric choke

-radiator, is the stock one going to be enough with an electric fan?

-Transmission, heres a big one, theres 180k miles on it and im not sure if its worth it to pay for a built 700r4 for around $1500 or get a rebuild kit and try tackling it myself. Obviously im getting a higher stall torque converter

-im going to need a fuel pressure regulator, one with a return line from what i understand

-Eagle products? someone told me they were crap? they have a 383cid bottom end kit on Jegs for $800~ worth it?
if the dart heads are 3/8 stud I have a set of slotted self alining rockers off my crate engine(new take offs) that I'll let go cheap. if the heads use guide plates you can't use these.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

ok, i know it's been quite some time, but I haven't just abandoned this. I took some time and realized that in the end I still want a functional truck to tow and haul stuff with. After looking through tons of build threads and other articles i believe I have a motor that should make good low end power in the 350-400hp and be a reliable daily driver.
I have almost all the parts waiting to go together, the block has been tied up at the machine shop for about a month now though.
i got the cost of the motor down just below the $3000 mark, mostly by getting summit and jegs branded parts.

hopefully I'll get my block back next week and start the fun, I'll post some pics and things too but I'm about to go into work now so thats all i got for now
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

original 2bolt 350 block, its at the shop now getting bored 30 over and cleaned up, all the usual stuff. its been tied up there for a month, getting a little impatient.
Jegs 180cc aluminum heads, 72cc chambers, angle plug
Summit 278/288 .421/.444 flat tappet cam & lifters
Eagle 383 cast iron rotating assembly
Summit dual plain aluminum intake
Summit 750 carb, vacum secondary, electric choke
Proform HEI
Comp Cams narrow body aluminum roller rocker, 1.5
Summit dual 16" electric fan
Headman 1 5/8 longtube headers

other plans include
-new paint, probably back to the factory blue
-redo the exterior trim
-Lockright locker
-spray-in bed liner

its not a show truck and lwb trucks arent highly desirable to most people, but i love driving it, and my wifes likes it being around because it was her dads and im sure when its nice and clean we will love it that much more

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130620_001.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	76333
Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130617_002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	76344Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20130622_008.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	76345
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM

save money by building a 350,go back to a roller cam.That is a way better package
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM

I didnt see the machine work list?
bore to fit pistons/torque plate hone
align hone and square block and deck for fit
Balance rotating assembly
should be 420 hp+ and reliable
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

roller cams were just too expensive, $4-600, no truck small blocks cam with a roller until the vortec motors. The summit cam and lifter kits are $99.
as far as machine work, the crank is internally balanced, he is boring it over, cam bearings, freeze plug, lifter bores. I told him what i was doing with the motor and he said he would take care of it, so I'm not actually a 100% certain what else he will do

the parts are actually bought and sitting in my back bedroom on the bed like some kind of crazy expensive manly Christmas

Last edited by HairySheep; 08-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 AM

$822.99 Eagle 383 rotating assembly ? dont buy this!
build a good 355 instead of a mediocre 383
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Horsepower
Torque
Bore & Stroke
Compression Ratio
Fuel Requirement
415 @ 5600 RPM
425 @ 4200 RPM
4.000 x 3.480
9.2 to 1
87 Octane
you can buy this intake to oil pan from one of the best builders,including warranty.
or follow what I said and build a roller cam 355 yourself that is quality and has a roller cam...
Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

i don't think there is that much money being saved by the time you bought a roller cam, and alot more hassle with reusing the old crank and rods, cause now I have to take it to be balanced and turned and the rods honed. Then i still have to by pistons and rings regaurdless. Add $500 at the least for a roller cam and I don't believe you really saved much and your not making any more power.

The eagle kit is brand new, and has everything i need balanced and ready to go with a new flex plate.

that's just what I had thought about it

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.