92 chevy 350 problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

92 chevy 350 problems

I have a 92 chevy with a 350 with a problem it has good throttle response but when its under load it has a hesatation like its not hitting on all cylinders any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

My father's 98 GMC was doing the same thing not too long ago. I'd floor it and it would bog down and pop. About 2 weeks after it started the fuel pump went out, which was what I suspected it was to start with. First off, check the fuel pressure. Second, what shape is the tune up in? When was the last time it had new plugs and plug wires? Have you checked it for vacuum leaks?
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleVision For This Useful Post:
1Gary (03-12-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM

I would second that, if it hasn't had a tune up for some time it would not be like throwing money away to first start with the basics that wear out over time. Delco spark plugs & wires, most likely a cap and rotor, again stock Delco ( is your unit the coil in cap style or a stand alone coil ? ) , also a fuel filter. Then check the timing just to make sure its still on TDC with the connector unplugged after the tune up. Do those and then evaluate how its running.

If you decide on the tuneup, I like to have had the engine shut down from a good run down the highway so it shows a better read on the plugs ( let the engine cool where you intend to do the work on the truck ), also when you take out the plugs it would be a good idea to mark where each plug/cylinder it came from ( you can use some masking tape and write the number on it and wrap it around the insulator ). That way if there is a surprise as your pulling the plugs you can know for sure which cylinder it came from.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

X 3 with all the suggestions here. Maintnance Items need to be adressed first before attempting to diagnose.
Tune up and fuel filter etc... need to be checked and replaced if needed.If your not sure when you look...replace it.Or get a second opinion.

Could be a bad valve spring or valve sticking in guide .
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM

I forgot to add that during a tuneup when all the plugs are out, thats the perfect time to do a compression test of all cylinders assuming you have or can get access to a decent gauge and are familiar with the procedure or get a run down on that in the forum so you don't fry the ignition system etc. While it may not reveal anything, it also may and will give a somewhat general idea of the health of the engine and not have to back track and pull plugs all over again to do the test after the fact. I find using a good charger on the battery or a booster battery helpful to keep things consistent through a test like that. Then if you come across a cylinder that is way lower, you can do a wet test on it to see its reaction and so on.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.