92 chevy suburban 350 upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2002, 09:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 92 chevy suburban 350 upgrade

I had put this under engines - but it is really a general topic...

I have a 92 Chevy Suburban 4WD with 60,000 miles, always used Mobile 1, well cared for and babied, kept in my garage and taken out when needed to haul my 7 kids around... Engine is tight - does not appear to lose any oil between changes. Performance has been dropping over the past couple years - and am in process of trying different things to perk it back up.
I put new wires, platinum plugs, distributor cap and rotor and am getting a Pro-Tech performance chip put in next week. The are other things I'm considering and would appreciate advice on (exhaust, cams, air intake, transmission). Money is a concern - but I'm a little middle aged crazy and I need more torque at about 2500 RPM... Any ideas on the below are welcome - no need to answer all the questions/issues.

Exhaust - thinking high flow cat and muffler. But what about headers and dual exaust? I'm inclinded to go with the high flow cat and muffler - but was wondering how much more would I get out of adding the headers and dual exhaust.

Cams - my wife drives this thing too so I have to be careful. Comments of cams to consider and expected peformance incrase.

Air intake - suggestions... I have seen the kits from K&N - but I don't know where in the heck you stick the air intake to get cold air. The current set up has it routing through the right side fender to behind the right head light...

Transmission - have an automatic, 4 spd overdrive (700? non electronic). It changes from 2nd to 3rd on acceleration at 4200 RPM but red line is at 4500. Is it a simple matter to get the shift point higher?

Finally - my local transmission place convinced me to allow him to install a kit to the transmission which would stiffen up the shifts and he says reduce losses and wear/tear on the transmission. He is charging $298 - I figure I'm getting at LEAST a transmission service out of it. But - is it worth it regardless of how much he is charging?

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric Z - Professor of Mechanical Engineering...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2002, 06:21 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Adding headers would wake it up.They make truck headers that should bolt right to the crossover.Crane & Comp both make 50state legal cams that are supposed to increase milage & add HP. As far as the shift kit you should notice a differance it will shift harder.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:22 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Adding headers would wake it up.They make truck headers that should bolt right to the crossover.Crane & Comp both make 50state legal cams that are supposed to increase milage & add HP. As far as the shift kit you should notice a differance it will shift harder.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.